[0.9.8] Game runs slower than it should

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Frildoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.8] Game runs slower than it should

Post by Frildoren »

Hey there, I'm new in Factorio (played it for a bit more than a week), and the game has been working very well both in Windows 8 and Linux (64bit in both), in my laptop.

I started playing it on Windows 8 and then on Ubuntu 14.04, and on both I found this issue. Firstly the game works normal but at some point, it just runs slower. That is, when launched it takes much longer to load, and ingame everything is just slower (the character moving, machines, etc). And once I get it, it usually persists in future launches, even after rebooting or even reinstalling the game. I really dont get why it happens, It seems like the computer can't run the game smoothly, but then why was it running it fine before? Also, my laptop doesn't have a dedicated video card, but still I believe the integrated one (Intel HD Graphics 4600) should be powerful enough.

I took a screenshot even though I'm not sure it will be useful, attached bellow.
Screenshot
Screenshot
screenshot.jpg (857.12 KiB) Viewed 5955 times
I would really appreciate some help, the game is not playable like this and I need my dose :roll: .
I apologize in case this bug was reported already, I didn't find anything similar. Also, I will be glad to give any other information you may need about my setup, files, or anything!

Thank you very much.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Game runs slower than it should

Post by SilverWarior »

It would be nice if you could provide your savegame for developers to test.

Also you might wanna check ingame options to see if your game can use multiple threads. I asume you have multicore CPU, right. Set the number of threads that Factorio can use to the number of cores your CPU have.

Frildoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Frildoren »

I'm uploading my savegame then, although Im afraid it's not something with it as I can feel it slow when loading and in other saves.
Savegame: https://mega.co.nz/#!9otwAaIS!w77zsPh5r ... 2VAJM4azjg

Also I tried allowing more threads, up to 8 which is my nuber of cores, and I couldn't feel any difference unfortunately.
Thank you!

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

You seem to be included in the lucky club of intel users who get all the graphics.
Could you please post your OS / GPU info to https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1991 ?
It could help figuring out which intel gpus are affected and which aren't
Suggested post format: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 971#p28960

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Factorio is multithreaded now? Oh.

Do you have any other GPU-using software running on the background?
(Or desktop effects / composing, for that matter?)
How much VRAM do you have? Could it be, that some of it is dedicated to the GPU and some shared?
(and thus the slowdown could be attributed to transfers between the shared and dedicated RAM)

Still, it's a bit strange that the slowdown doesn't affect just the gameplay, but also the load time.

I remember it was reported that some unrelated program caused a massive performance drop.

Frildoren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Frildoren »

I will post my computer info to that thread then.

I have nothing special runing in the background, I tryed launching the game right after booting.
I don't know about the VRAM tbh... (dmesg | grep drm says 2048MB but I'm not sure thats what you are asking for)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Yes, I am not aware of a better / more accurate way how to measure VRAM.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The strange thing is, that from the time statistics, it seems like the game should run on 60fps, as the total time of one cycle is less than 16ms.

The time statistics provide more info in 0.10 so we shall see how it looks then.

Return to “Pending”