Burner inserter bug

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
jonarano
Inserter
Inserter

Burner inserter bug

Post by jonarano »

This bug is going to be difficult to reproduce, but this is what happend:

Some bitters ate our power system and inserters. I went to replace the broken burner inserters by a new one, and the first inserter wasnt working. It is ok, it has coal, but it was bugged. I had to remove it and add it again:
http://imgur.com/a/2rrX3

As I say, it is difficult to reproduce.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Burner inserter bug

Post by Rseding91 »

Well let us know when you can reproduce it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Arawn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arawn »

this happens to me all the time and it is a big hassle because you have to remove and replace the inserter manually to get it to work again.

As you can see in the picture the inserter arm is at an angle, meaning it was about to do something.

This will probably have been interupted by the biter attack destroying things.

Now it can not finish its task and is stuck there.

it is easier to duplicate this with an assembler. eg the inserter picks up a copper plate and you cancel the assemblers recipe; it will hold te copper plate mid cycle untill it can finish the task.
you chance the recipe to something that requires plate but the inserter just won't start even if you feed it the plate manually.
and because it is holding the copper you can't 'pick it up' like you would do with items from a belt
so you change the situation back to whatever it wanted to do or do a quicker remove and replace

in your example what -could- have happend is that it just hit the cycle to feed itself but the biter already destroyed the belt. After rebuilding the setup you kickstart all inserters putting stacks of coal in. None gave a problem but this inserter did, it picked up the first lump it could reach and then frooze as it had no more room to finish its task. Even with the furnace able to receive coal it needs to finish that cycle first. trying to clear the belt picking up all coal also wouldn't help because it holds on to the piece. so it never resets to the state of 'im full with coal, next task feed the furnace'

TL;DR

it would be nice if we were able to pick up items out of an inserter to free it from a locked cycle, the possible cause of this 'bug'

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Arawn wrote:this happens to me all the time and it is a big hassle because you have to remove and replace the inserter manually to get it to work again.

As you can see in the picture the inserter arm is at an angle, meaning it was about to do something.

This will probably have been interupted by the biter attack destroying things.

Now it can not finish its task and is stuck there.

it is easier to duplicate this with an assembler. eg the inserter picks up a copper plate and you cancel the assemblers recipe; it will hold te copper plate mid cycle untill it can finish the task.
you chance the recipe to something that requires plate but the inserter just won't start even if you feed it the plate manually.
and because it is holding the copper you can't 'pick it up' like you would do with items from a belt
so you change the situation back to whatever it wanted to do or do a quicker remove and replace

in your example what -could- have happend is that it just hit the cycle to feed itself but the biter already destroyed the belt. After rebuilding the setup you kickstart all inserters putting stacks of coal in. None gave a problem but this inserter did, it picked up the first lump it could reach and then frooze as it had no more room to finish its task. Even with the furnace able to receive coal it needs to finish that cycle first. trying to clear the belt picking up all coal also wouldn't help because it holds on to the piece. so it never resets to the state of 'im full with coal, next task feed the furnace'

TL;DR

it would be nice if we were able to pick up items out of an inserter to free it from a locked cycle, the possible cause of this 'bug'
What you describe has nothing to do with this bug report. That's just normal mechanics for inserters. They're no all-knowing-perfect movers of items. You have to put some logic into them to make them work as you want - which is part of the puzzle.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Arawn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arawn »

yes you are correct, but it is still a problem and in my opinion exactly what is going on here:

once the logic you put into the inserter no longer makes sense to them, they stop working and you can't give them any new logic to start working again.

imagine he placed the inserter the wrong way it would dump the coal into the grass, pick up a new one only to find someone now put a belt with coal at it's feet... it stops working. you flip the inserter the correct way and it still won't work 'cause it's stuck with the old logic.

i can't even begin to explain how many times i had to reset inserters placing them at the same place they already stood for this reason.

you place an inserter, place some power then an assembler. the inserter immediatly starts dumping things onto the ground and so you interupt the second haul with the assembler... it's stuck and you have to delete the inserter only to place it again....

Return to “Pending”