[0.9.8 Windows 8.1 x64] Cannot save game after playing a lot

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
EnderX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.9.8 Windows 8.1 x64] Cannot save game after playing a lot

Post by EnderX »

Hi, i have a nearly 40mb savegame and after killing some enemy nest i returned to my base, then i tried to save, and it crashes over and over again whenever i try to save.

When i'm trying to load my savegame sometimes it loads fine(and crashes after a while) or i get the error 'opening zip C:/Users... failed'. The message 'Couldn't read from input file, file could be corrupted' shows up too.

Relevant data of my savegame:
- 37h+ of gameplay
- 1300+ logistic drones, 200+ constructor drones and 80+ roboport.( But I played a lot of time with 1500+ logictic drones with no issues).
- 900+ solar panels, 100+ steam engines and 350+ accumulators.
- 500+ laser turrets all around my bases. Huge amount of walls too.
- No mods installed, just the original game.
- No lag issues nor crashes til now, the games runs perfect for me even with my vast base.(1.3 gig of Ram in use).

Pc specs: i5 4670k, 8 gig of Ram, 770 gtx, W 8.1 x64.

Anyone is having the same problem with big bases/savegames?

I hope this data helps somehow. Thx. :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.9.8 Windows 8.1 x64] Cannot save game after playing a

Post by FishSandwich »

Probably would help if you posted your save file.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Have you scaned your disk for errors by using CHKDSK? It is posible that your savegame file is actually damaged.
It is also posible (smal possibility) that you antivirus software might be causing problems. So I recomend you temporarily disconect your computer from internet (you do this in order to avoid possible infection), temporarily disable your antivirus software and then try playing Factorio to see if the problem still presists. If this solved your problem reactivate your anti virus software and try to add factorio save folder and all of its subfolders into your avtivirus exception list so it won't be checking changes to the files inside them.
Another cause for your troubles might be Windows UAC (user account controll). I recomend you try running Factorio as administrator which sould lower the Windows UAC checkings to minimum.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Size of the save doesn't really matter. The contents is important. There can be a deserialization error. Please post a save.

EnderX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EnderX »

I re-downloaded the game(paying extra attention on downloading the most suitable version, x64), then i copied my old savegames, delete the whole game and then use my fresh download with my old savegames.

I waited before posting again a few days, so i played a lot since my post with no problems whatsoever, zero. No lag, no corrupt files, nothing, just perfect.(My savegame growed to 70+Mb).

I guess i had some issues with my filegame data or something(maybe i got the wrong version of x86 bits for my system, i don't really know now).

The problem is solved, this thread could be closed or deleted anytime you want.

I'm sorry for any trouble i might have caused to the developers, just trying to find a non existing bug related to save games :oops:

Code7R
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Code7R »

I am experiencing a similar, if not the same problem.

I've played for several hours, no problems whatsoever, then, the game started freezing midgame. I tried reloading several times, a complete reinstall of the game. No use.
Every time I load the save game file I will put in as an attachment, the game either freezes when I try to save manually, or just whilst playing after a few minutes. This even happens if I turn off auto-saving.

One time, I had the task manager open in the background and happened to see the memory usage of the game exe jump to 12 GB. It went back to 1 GB after just a second, so I'm not 100% sure if I saw that right.

Hope the save game helps.

Thanks.

Edit: I tried to upload the 7mb save file, but it didn't work - file too big. :-/

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Code7R wrote:Edit: I tried to upload the 7mb save file, but it didn't work - file too big. :-/
Best would be to upload on googledrive, dropbox, mega or something comparable and post the link to the save.

Code7R
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Code7R »

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, could you try it again in 0.10.4 we made some fixes in the saving logic (it did allocate too big data in one block and crashed the saving sometimes)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Moving to pending, until it is reproduced in 0.10.5+ version.

Return to “Pending”