Issues running game on mac

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Asop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Issues running game on mac

Post by Asop »

When trying to start a game in sandbox mode all I see is a weird scrambled image. It is the same regardless of being in fullscreen or not. I am running the paid version 0.9.8 on an OS X system. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

This is what I see:
Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.17.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 6.17.49 PM.png (157.66 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
W

On a side note, is it intentional that the menu font is black on a grey background because it makes it almost impossible to read.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Issues running game on mac

Post by FreeER »

have you seen the bug reports graphic problems post by ssilk?

Asop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Asop »

I tried to change the resolution in gedit, but I don't see anything in the configs folder.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

perhaps create the config.ini file and add

Code: Select all

[graphics]
low-graphics=true
to it? (if it manages to load then everything else that belongs there should be added automatically)

P.S. moving to bug reports so the devs might be more likely to see it :) (not sure how often they check help vs bug reports..but it does belong there)

Asop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Asop »

I tried your suggested code solution and it didn't help.

When you say move this to bud reports, should I create a new file or is there a specific way to do that?

Thank you for the help

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Asop wrote:I tried your suggested code solution and it didn't help.
I'm sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would...
Asop wrote:When you say move this to bud reports, should I create a new file or is there a specific way to do that?
As a moderator I've done that for you :D the note was mostly a way to let you or anyone else following the topic know that it would be in bug reports if you/they tried to navigate to it directly from the forums...apparently I left a 'shadow' topic in help though, I've removed that now since the point of moving it was also to not have unneeded topics in 'help', which is mostly for help while playing :)

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

The game uses a lot of sprite animations so it needs a lot of VRAM, and this is what happens when the graphics card can't handle what the game needs. The developers are working to reduce the graphics memory requirements, but unfortunately there are currently no workarounds other than the low graphics setting.

Maybe someone could make an extra-low-graphics mod that replaces some of the game's graphics with even lower quality ones and takes frames away from animations and stuff? :)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Really sorry for the inconvenience. So far the low-graphics mode always solved the problem. I would also suggest to switch off other applications that can be eating up VRAM (pretty much everything :) - games, browser, etc.). We plan to optimize the VRAM usage soon (though probably won't be able to do it for 0.10).

Asop
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Asop »

I tried running it with out anything else, but Im not sure I turned low graphics mode on. I clicked it in the options and restarted, but it had no effect. I am unsure if I did it correctly because the options menu does't give any indication if you selected something.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Tried that: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... Mac#p23496
?

Turn off your second monitor! It takes off course some extra Ram!

Another problem was also, that I've been running VMware at the same time. I found also problems with LibreOffice or Lightroom...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Pending”