Factorio hangs when trying to join LAN game if no Internet

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
dauphin
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio hangs when trying to join LAN game if no Internet

Post by dauphin »

The title basically says it all. Unfortunately I don't have a log file (because I just reconnected to the Internet as workaround and the log files eventually got overwritten), but if this sounds like a bug, I can reproduce quite easily and post one.

Running 0.14.7, I hosted a LAN-only multiplayer game on my desktop computer. I then opened up Factorio on my laptop, and went to Play->Multiplayer->Play on LAN.

After a few seconds, the hosted LAN-only game showed up. As soon as I clicked on it to select it, the GUI froze. I couldn't click Join, or Back, or Refresh.

The GUI stayed frozen for about 20 seconds, maybe more, and then showed an error about being unable to contact the pingpong1.factorio.com server. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact text. It was 100% reproducible, though - I tried this several times, thinking that surely I would be able to play a LAN game without having an active internet connection.

I had the Internet disconnected because I was trying to get my wireless router in a place in my house where the desktop could be wired instead of wireless, to cut down on interference. Unfortunately no live cable is present on that side of house to plug the cable modem into.

Reconnecting the cable modem to the router made everything work, not surprisingly. The call to pingpong1.factorio.com seems to have been the issue.

Anyway, perhaps it's by design that Factorio can't play a LAN-only game without connecting to the Internet. I have to admit that would disappoint me a little, because of how generally player-friendly Wube is. But if this sounds like a bug and you want a log, let me know and I'll be happy to provide one.

Thanks!

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio hangs when trying to join LAN game if no Internet

Post by credomane »

Did the host have "Verify usernames" checked by any chance?

That I know for certain requires an Internet connection to work, if enabled.

dauphin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dauphin »

credomane wrote:Did the host have "Verify usernames" checked by any chance?

Interesting question. I don't know, and will have to check.

Would be nice if the GUI didn't freeze, but that's a pretty garden variety UI responsiveness/threading issue if this is the underlying cause.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Please provide logs from host and peer.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dauphin wrote:
credomane wrote:Did the host have "Verify usernames" checked by any chance?

Interesting question. I don't know, and will have to check.

Would be nice if the GUI didn't freeze, but that's a pretty garden variety UI responsiveness/threading issue if this is the underlying cause.

Yes the game should not freeze if you cannot reach the pingpong

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Can someone confirm that this is still an issue (or that it is no longer)?

Return to “Pending”