[0.13.10] [Pending] [Twinsen] New performance issues FPS/UPS drops

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.10] New performance issues FPS/UPS drops

Post by Twinsen »

sambot wrote:I have been experiencing a drop similar to those described. I initially blamed a mod (Orbital Ion Cannon), but after uninstalling it, I still encountered it. I never had it happen in 0.13.9. I did, however, discover that it occurs fairly reliably when I walk through specific parts of my factory. It rarely happens anywhere else (could just be luck).
Thanks for the images with the timings,
Do you have vsync on or off? can you upload any log so i can see your graphics settings and system configuration?

HeilTec
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.13.10] New performance issues FPS/UPS drops

Post by HeilTec »

Twinsen wrote:... For now the people who have this problem should disable Vsync and restart the game. ...
Thank you. This keeps the UPS fairly steady at 60. I have been living with reduced FPS as one must on a slow machine. As long as the UPS does not drop too much the game is perfectly playable.
Google is my friend. Searching the forum and the wiki is always a first.

malloc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.13.10] [Pending] [Twinsen] New performance issues FPS/UPS drops

Post by malloc »

VSYNC Off solved the issue for me as well with a solid 60/60.

Thanks.

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by noliVe »

not really

Bearnaise
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bearnaise »

I have also been getting brief, intense UPS drops since updating to 13.10 (maybe about once every couple minutes). However, I've noticed that I'm only getting them on maps created in 13.10/13.11. I can load old save games in the 13.11 update, like the one I'm currently running which was created in 13.5, and not experience any drops at all. Could it have something to do with the terrain updates from 13.10?

I am still running with VSync on, by the way. Nothing changed on my system/game settings but loading an older map in the current version.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

I have thoroughly tested on 4 different configurations including low end computers and did not notice any FPS/UPS drop from 0.13.9 to 0.13.10.

There is the old problem that when vsync is turned on windows 7 with desktop composition(windows aero) turned off, the vsync starts waiting for unreasonable amount of time, causing large flip times. For this reason I made vsync off by default.

Also unrelated, Vsync will be automatically turned off and hidden from the options menu is desktop composition(windows aero) is on, since windows aero does it's own vsync, making and additional vsync redundant.

If you think 0.13.10 did indeed break something, post a 0.13.9 screenshot with timings and a 0.13.10 screenshot with timings and a log so i can see your configuration and settings.

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

Massive perfomrance issue upgrading from 0.13.09 to 0.13.10 and 11. Added 2 screenshots. .09 and .11 brand new game, no mods at all. Using a laptop.
Graphics Quality Low
Video memory usage Low in both instances.

Aspire E17
AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 2.2Ghz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
8GB Ram
HyperX SSD
Windows 10
Attachments
factorio 0.13.11.jpg
factorio 0.13.11.jpg (796.42 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
factorio 0.13.09.jpg
factorio 0.13.09.jpg (823.15 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Nebbeh wrote:Massive perfomrance issue upgrading from 0.13.09 to 0.13.10 and 11. Added 2 screenshots. .09 and .11 brand new game, no mods at all. Using a laptop.
Graphics Quality Low

Aspire E17
AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 2.2Ghz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
8GB Ram
HyperX SSD
Windows 10
Those are 2 different maps.

Can you try making a map in 0.13.9, save it, then load it in 0.13.10 and see how it performs?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

So, Apparently loading a 09 map to 11 kinda works, but any new map I create in 10 or 11 has major performace issues. So most be something with 10-11 maps because any new map I create in these 2 versions has massive performane issues...
Attachments
factorio 09 to 011.jpg
factorio 09 to 011.jpg (819.7 KiB) Viewed 4264 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Nebbeh wrote:So, Apparently loading a 09 map to 11 kinda works, but any new map I create in 10 or 11 has major performace issues. So most be something with 10-11 maps because any new map I create in these 2 versions has massive performane issues...
Based off that information and the screenshots you've given you're just looking at different things because the maps are different. That's not related to the changes in 0.13.10 or 0.13.11 - it's just your computer not being able to keep up with what's on screen.

Try turning down the VRAM usage setting - it should help in your instance.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

Like I said, never gotten this issue until 0.13.10. Rerolled maybe close to couple hundred times in my 1000+ hours of factorio and never had this issue before. And every single map, and I mean every single map rolled in 0.13.10 or 11 gives me this problem. And this starts right away after loading.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Nebbeh wrote:Massive perfomrance issue upgrading from 0.13.09 to 0.13.10 and 11. Added 2 screenshots. .09 and .11 brand new game, no mods at all. Using a laptop.
Graphics Quality Low
Rendering takes a very long time for you for some reason.
But the examples you shown are far from conclusive. First screenshot is a zoomed out area with lots of sprites(trees and coal resources). Second screenshot you are zoomed into a patch of desert where nothing is drawn.

It's possible that the new maps have more trees in them and less desert.

To make a conclusive test make sure you load an identical savegame, let it run for 30 seconds and look at the performance while at the same zoom level(press F9 to set the zoom level to 100%).

Your video card just seems to be slow. Also try experimenting with a higher video memory usage setting. As long as your computer has enough video memory, higher video memory usage means faster rendering.

pulsar9
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pulsar9 »

I had FPS reductions in 13.10 when zoomed all of the way out. I decided to try again later to see if the issue was fixed. My PC has always run Factorio smooth so I knew that wasn't the problem. In 13.13 it seemed like there was no problem so I installed some mods and played normally. When I started exploring I encountered FPS reduction again but it was not a consistent reduction. So I wandered around to see if I could find a particular spot where the problem was centralized; I could not. Then I started reading through this tread and someone mentioned something about trees. Then I noticed that when my FPS is low I am standing in a bunch of trees, so I got out some explosive termites and removed the forest from existence. As the forest was removed my FPS increased until they were back to 60. It seems that my issue is not because of mods. My tests so far:
  • - 13.10 > 13.13 with mods = issue (current game with issue)
    - Current game files with all mods and saves removed, same map generated with exchange string = issue
    - 13.13 downloaded, same map generated with exchange string = no issue
    - 13.10 downloaded, generated some maps, unable to generate same map = cannot get the issue to occur
    - 13.13 downloaded, current save and mods copied over = no issues so far
    - 13.10 > 13.13 no mods, same map generated with exchange string = no issues
So after doing some more testing my issue was caused because of the graphics setting

Code: Select all

video-memory-usage=all
If anyone else in this thread has this setting set to all set change the setting back to high. This is what worked for me.

Exchange string:

Code: Select all

>>>AAANAA0AAAACBAYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUCCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAEFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAQEFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUCBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFJLWMw4CEHgCAhB4ABQGF6Dzy<<
<

Return to “Pending”