[0.8.8] Game crashes when firing rockets

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.8.8] Game crashes when firing rockets

Post by Sir Nick »

Happened twice already, so it must be something. When I am standing some distance away from a spawner and rapid-firing rockets from my car, the game freezes on rocket impact (I literally see the rocket on top of the spawner) and then the game crashes. It is unrecreatable (loading a recent auto-save solves the issue). In the attached save, it happened while assaulting a base to the north-west (not discovered yet in the save). Will attach a screenshot if I ever manage to get one.

Save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d2nk4rwixar2 ... 567890.rar

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.8.8] Game crashes when firing rockets

Post by kovarex »

I tried to reproduce it and check the code that could cause some trouble, but I found nothing.
I even modified the game, so shooting is for free and I shoot 60 rockets with damage 0 per second to test it more extensively.

Maybe you could provide some additional info.

Did the game freeze and than crash? So did it take lot of memory (this could mean some entity got huge(random/infinite) position and the engine tried to generate chunks there).
Did it happen only with rockets? (Normal rockets or explosive ones?)
Did it happen only when riding car?
Was it the last killing blow or just a hit?

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

In answer to your questions:
Yes, it did freeze and then crash. My computed did a "hiccup" of hard disk activity (happens sometimes, so I'm used to it) and then the game crashed. Cannot say about memory, happened to fast to open any tool.
Only rockets, normal ones.
Only car (however, I never yet attacked a base with a rocket launcher on foot)
As far as I remember, a killing blow, but I may be wrong.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Sir Nick wrote:My computed did a "hiccup" of hard disk activity (happens sometimes, so I'm used to it) and then the game crashed.
I suggest downloading program called Crystal Disk Info (http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html) to check your hard drive SMART data report. This will tell you if your hard drive may be expiriencing some hardware faliures. if it does then you might wanna start thinking about buying a new one as the current one might fail compleetly.
But if the program doesent show any errors with your hard drive I would recomend checking or maybe even replacing your Power Supply (PSU) especially if it is one of those cheaper ones with doesn't provide much power (lower than 450W).
Also using the above mentioned program make sure that your hard drive might not be overheating. Safe temepratures are below 40 degrees celsius at heavy usage or around 30 degrees celsius at low usage. But it is always better to be even lower than that.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Lol, my machine maintains 90-100 °C during games for last 5.5 years, i wouldn't take that so seriously :lol:

Return to “Pending”