[0.12.24] [Windows] [pending] Multiplayer issues

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
jaeke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.12.24] [Windows] [pending] Multiplayer issues

Post by jaeke »

I have been loving Factorio, big ups to the devs really good game.
I have tried to set up a multiplayer server and port forwarded port 34197. I am sure my ISP is not blocking this port.
My friend is not able to play with me although my brother in the same network can play with me.
Someone on reddit suggested to forward 10999 as this helped for some people. This did not help either. I tested it with another port that I am sure of that it is working and Factorio still is not able to punch through. I am finding this very weird.
I have disabled the firewall on both my PC and router.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.24] [Windows] Multiplayer issues

Post by kovarex »

Are you sure your IP is public and you are providing the global, not local IP to your friend?

Lot of these problems will be solved by the matching server in 0.13.

yngndrw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.24] [Windows] [pending] Multiplayer issues

Post by yngndrw »

A local IP address would most commonly be in the following format:

Code: Select all

10.***.***.***
172.***.***.***
192.168.***.***
Make sure you're forwarding UDP rather than TCP.

jaeke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.24] [Windows] Multiplayer issues

Post by jaeke »

kovarex wrote:Are you sure your IP is public and you are providing the global, not local IP to your friend?

Lot of these problems will be solved by the matching server in 0.13.
Yes I am using my external IP address, have got it linked up to a dynamic DNS service and domain. Have a teamspeak server running sccuesfully so it is not the issue of my domain and DNS. Also tried the external IP in the form of numbers.

Really hope it gets fixed in 0.13 for me.

jaeke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jaeke »

yngndrw wrote:A local IP address would most commonly be in the following format:

Code: Select all

10.***.***.***
172.***.***.***
192.168.***.***
Make sure you're forwarding UDP rather than TCP.
I have found this though http://puu.sh/npSr7/796f8d3a61.png

I don't know whether this is common but it is not using the IP I have for my local connection. I have forwarded the UDP ports.

yngndrw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

I'm not familiar with the CurrPorts application, but I believe that it is showing what the application is listening / bound to. 0.0.0.0 is commonly used to denote any local address. In order words, Factorio is listening for any UDP packets on port 34197, regardless of which local IP they arrive on. Your router just needs to forward these packets from your public connection to any local IP on your machine (I.e. 192.168.1.122) and they will be picked up. That's a long-winded way of saying that yes, that looks normal.

Could it be an issue with how you're forwarding the ports on your router ? I know that you have successfully setup TeamSpeak but it's worth double-checking as it's the most common thing to mess up. Make sure that it's forwarding UDP. It's worth noting that TeamSpeak supports UPNP (In Windows) so it could be that you never had to port forward for TeamSpeak ?

For reference I'm successfully hosting a server with version 0.12.24 so networking is working in this version.

jaeke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jaeke »

yngndrw wrote:I'm not familiar with the CurrPorts application, but I believe that it is showing what the application is listening / bound to. 0.0.0.0 is commonly used to denote any local address. In order words, Factorio is listening for any UDP packets on port 34197, regardless of which local IP they arrive on. Your router just needs to forward these packets from your public connection to any local IP on your machine (I.e. 192.168.1.122) and they will be picked up. That's a long-winded way of saying that yes, that looks normal.

Could it be an issue with how you're forwarding the ports on your router ? I know that you have successfully setup TeamSpeak but it's worth double-checking as it's the most common thing to mess up. Make sure that it's forwarding UDP. It's worth noting that TeamSpeak supports UPNP (In Windows) so it could be that you never had to port forward for TeamSpeak ?

For reference I'm successfully hosting a server with version 0.12.24 so networking is working in this version.
Hrm interesting, yes I have been able to run other game server such as AOE II which I am 100% sure of that it was using UDP as well and it worked absolutely fine.
Factorio is still not punching through the router for some weird reason, and yes I have made an exception to my firewall to allow traffic both in and outbound.

Will try the 0.12.25 update and see if it helps.

Thanks,
Jaeke

Return to “Pending”