[0.8.0] problem with fullscreen with mods

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
onimusza
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.8.0] problem with fullscreen with mods

Post by onimusza »

i have dytech mod to factorio 0.8 and when i toggle fullscreen, and create new game i have pop-up "bad alocation", i check how many RAM game eaten , when i active mods game use all my RAM (i have 4Gbs) when i deactive mods game take only about 0.4-0.6Gbs RAM. Why does it work with that many diffrence? that can be fix?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.8.0] problem with fullscreen with mods

Post by kovarex »

The problem is, that Dytech mod adds lot of graphics, so the video memory requirements go up a lot.
Every graphics in video memory has to be stored in normal ram as well.

On top of that, if your card has shared video memory, the video memory is stored in the ram (partially) as well.
I can imagine that this all together can result in very big memory consumption.

Did you try to set the low graphics option?

Edit: When I run the game with Dytech and Treefarm mod, it uses 1.7Gb

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:The problem is, that Dytech mod adds lot of graphics, so the video memory requirements go up a lot.
Every graphics in video memory has to be stored in normal ram as well.

On top of that, if your card has shared video memory, the video memory is stored in the ram (partially) as well.
I can imagine that this all together can result in very big memory consumption.

Did you try to set the low graphics option?
is there a way to make it eat less memory?

that would be great, as there are more items coming in next version, and i hate to have people be unable to play my mod because i add an enormous amount of graphics!
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Currently there are no easy ways to do it.
The engine could try to use less memory and load just needed sprites on the fly, but that would require some work...

One thing can be altered, I believe that some of the biters you used are scaled up, so they take much more memory. It is better to use the original picture size, and just specify the scale in the biter graphics specifications. It will be stored in video memory as smaller picture, and scaled during the redner (there is really no performance difference, it is scaled anyway).

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:Currently there are no easy ways to do it.
The engine could try to use less memory and load just needed sprites on the fly, but that would require some work...

One thing can be altered, I believe that some of the biters you used are scaled up, so they take much more memory. It is better to use the original picture size, and just specify the scale in the biter graphics specifications. It will be stored in video memory as smaller picture, and scaled during the redner (there is really no performance difference, it is scaled anyway).
those scaled up biters arent the problem yet, as they are not activated yet. (still having trouble with getting them to load, if you could, help me here
but i am pretty sure it is the biters that could cause this, as a single (normal sized) biter with all its sheets is at least 10 mb in size, and the big ones are 35 mb each (i got 2, but they are disabled!)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Dysoch wrote:
kovarex wrote:Currently there are no easy ways to do it.

those scaled up biters arent the problem yet, as they are not activated yet. (still having trouble with getting them to load, if you could, help me here
but i am pretty sure it is the biters that could cause this, as a single (normal sized) biter with all its sheets is at least 10 mb in size, and the big ones are 35 mb each (i got 2, but they are disabled!)
So just don't scale them up, and issue it is solved (and scale them up just in the prototype definition).

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote: So just don't scale them up, and issue it is solved (and scale them up just in the prototype definition).
smart, ill do it right now. But that still wouldnt fix the performance problem (it will just a small bit, but it still scales them and has to keep them loaded)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

So just don't scale them up, and issue it is solved (and scale them up just in the prototype definition).
i cant seem to find the method to scale them in the prototype definition. i might be looking over it, but i also cant find it in the wiki xD
how to do this :P
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Dysoch wrote:
i cant seem to find the method to scale them in the prototype definition. i might be looking over it, but i also cant find it in the wiki xD
how to do this :P
Good point, it doesn't work for the Rotated animation, I will fix it for 0.8.1

onimusza
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by onimusza »

So, we must wait for 0.8.1 at now?

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

How to scale the mobs? Cant serm to find it in thr base files ;)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

It is not used there, but you can just set scale = x in the specification of the biter graphics for example, I will document it on wiki later.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

kovarex wrote:It is not used there, but you can just set scale = x in the specification of the biter graphics for example, I will document it on wiki later.
Thx, needed to know that ;)

Maybe move topic to pending till next dytech is released to see if it is fixed?
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Moved.