[1.1.100][Steam Deck] Game lockup ONCE after installing mod(s)

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
halkenguard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.100][Steam Deck] Game lockup ONCE after installing mod(s)

Post by halkenguard »

I have been playing Factorio primarily on my Steam Deck for several weeks. After installing any mod, the game will restart. Once the game has been relaunched, I can play for 5-10 minutes before the game will lock up. I do not receive an error message, and music continues to play, but the game becomes unresponsive and all animations freeze. The game must then be force-closed to resolve the issue. This ONLY happens after installing mods and it ONLY happens once. Once the game has frozen, been force-closed, and re-opened, the issue will not present itself again until another mod is installed. After several weeks of this behavior, it has become so predictable that when I install a mod I will alter my in-game behavior in expectation of the inevitable freeze.

I've attached my log file from a crash and an auto-save file that was created previous to a crash occurring.

Here is some more detailed info about my system:

Code: Select all

Operating System: SteamOS 3.5.7
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.107.0
Qt Version: 5.15.9
Kernel Version: 6.1.52-valve11-1-neptune-61 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × AMD Custom APU 0405
Memory: 14.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Custom GPU 0405
Manufacturer: Valve
Product Name: Jupiter
System Version: 1
Attachments
_autosave2.zip
(16.24 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
factorio-previous.log
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.100][Steam Deck] Game lockup ONCE after installing mod(s)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however that log file doesn't show any crash. It just shows you playing the game and auto-save happening.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

halkenguard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by halkenguard »

Yeah, I had noticed that myself, but I uploaded it anyway in case it could shed any light. As I said in my report, the game does not crash and has to be force closed after the game window becomes unresponsive.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Hard to know what happens without more details.
Steps are something like this?
1. Start game.
2. Install a mod(any mod), game restarts it's self.
3. Play a game for a while. Game freezes after a about an hour?

Only thing I can think of is that when the game restarts it's self the SteamOS might not like it or handle it correctly. Maybe you can notice something different after the game restarts it's self and is not started from the SteamOS menu?

halkenguard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by halkenguard »

Essentially, yes. Although the freeze tends to be within about 5-10 minutes of playing. I play primarily in desktop mode on the Steam Deck, so I don't think this would be a SteamUI issue, although I'm just a web dev. You guys know more about this stuff than I do.

Do you guys have a Steam Deck you can test on? I only have mine, so I'd be interested to know if this issue presents itself on another Steam Deck or if there's something unique about my setup. I understand though if that's more work than you guys are willing to invest in an issue that it appears only I am having. I'll update this post next time this issue pops up too.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

I didn't manage to reproduce the issue, although I didn't try it many times. Also my Steam Deck is an early version that's no longer fully supported so some things might be different.

halkenguard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by halkenguard »

I appreciate you giving it a shot. Other than the log and save file, is there anything else I can provide you with next time it happens? I still haven't ruled out this being an issue of my own creation, but in the event that it's not, I'd rather you guys know about it. I don't want you guys to release 2.0 and suddenly have a bunch of Steam Deck users whining about issues rather than just me.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

The next best thing that could help is reliable reproduction steps.
I suspect it's something related to your setup and also suspect it might not be related to installing mods and this is just a coincidence. Or it might be related to a specific mod.

Return to “Pending”