Documentation Improvement Requests

Place to report issues and suggest improvements to the API documentation.
paybara
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Documentation Improvement Requests

Post by paybara »

LuaEntity.circuit_connected_entities did not appear to be populated when inspecting entities attached to circuit networks.

Could be a bug, but given that LuaEntity.circuit_connection_definitions did have data, maybe it was deprecated and just needs to be marked as deprecated, or removed from docs?

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

[quote=paybara post_id=584599 time=1682745816 user_id=165945]
LuaEntity.circuit_connected_entities did not appear to be populated when inspecting entities attached to circuit networks.
[/quote]
Hovering over the connected entity and performing [code]/c game.print(serpent.line(game.player.selected.circuit_connected_entities))[/code], can't reproduce.

paybara
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by paybara »

[quote]Hovering over the connected entity and performing

[code]/c game.print(serpent.line(game.player.selected.circuit_connected_entities))
, can't reproduce.[/code]
[/quote]

...weird, that is working for me now.

I swear I was getting nothing but nils when I tried to use it in my mod, I guess I had some other bug.

Thanks for checking, and for the easy repro command!

undermark5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by undermark5 »

It would be good to add a note to "on_player_placed_equipment" indicating that it is triggered multiple times when ctrl-clicking in a stack of equipment. While it makes sense as to why this would be the case (you are adding multiple items and they each get a specific position in the grid), it does present some inconsistency with "on_player_removed_equipment" that only fires once with a count of items that were removed (and to be honest, I first wondered if I found a bug, because I didn't care about the particulars of the equipment that was added). So, it should be made clear in documentation that "on_player_placed_equipment" can be called multiple times when ctrl-clicking as changing the behavior of "on_player_removed_equipment" to fire for every item may result in breaking changes to existing mods.

Combine the above with the fact that the grid passed in the event already has all of the added pieces of equipment present makes me question if this is in fact a bug or not (previously, ctrl-clicking didn't trigger the event at all). Like it still makes some sense to have multiple times, but couldn't it get changed to give the index/key of any new equipment in the grid's equipment table?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

undermark5 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:48 pm
... but couldn't it get changed to give the index/key of any new equipment in the grid's equipment table?
The event already has that? "equipment" https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/eve ... _equipment
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

undermark5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by undermark5 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:37 pm
undermark5 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 9:48 pm
... but couldn't it get changed to give the index/key of any new equipment in the grid's equipment table?
The event already has that? "equipment" https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/eve ... _equipment
I'm aware, I'm saying that rather than firing the event multiple times for every piece of equipment, it could instead fire once and include a list/table of every piece of equipment that was added (it's all already present in the grid provided by the event, but you don't know which ones are new unless you've tracked this yourself or wait for each individual event).

My whole point is that there is inconsistency that isn't inherently apparent between 2 similar events. Not trying to say that this inconsistency can't exist, just that if it does, it should be documented better. As I stated, it does make some sense to get multiple events but it's not immediately apparent from the documents that ctrl-clicking into the grid fires multiple events while ctrl-clicking out of the grid fires a single event. Either changing the behavior or providing more details around when the events fire in the documentation solves the problem (documentation likely being the simpler of the two because it doesn't create potentially breaking charges and doesn't require writing code).

BurninSun
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BurninSun »

[1.1.81]
https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Lua ... ate_chunks
Lists `radius` as a required 2nd parameter, but the function is happy to run with a single `position` parameter and nothing for `radius`. Not sure if that actually does anything or not but the function should either be changed to require the 2nd parameter or the documentation should be updated for what it means to not pass the `radius` parameter.

-> Added to the docs with 1.1.102. It defaults to 0, which requests only the given chunk.

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

LuaGameScript.get_entity_by_tag - what does it do?
-> Added to the docs in 1.1.102, thanks Honktown for the description/pointer to discord.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

curiosity wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:00 am
LuaGameScript.get_entity_by_tag - what does it do?
That's for getting a tag set by clicking an entity and entering a tag while in `/editor` or Map Editor. Related, from Discord discussions:
[code]boskid — 06/24/2022 2:14 AM
value from "entity tag" inside of AdditionalEntityInfoGui will be accessible in the expansion (1.2.0) through LuaEntity::name_tag[/code]
and
[code]
boskid — 05/14/2023 1:47 AM
Great I made entity name tags writable from lua in 1.2.0[/code]

Edit: I see, the doc literally shows nothing lol.

-> Added to the docs in 1.1.102, thanks Honktown for the description/pointer to discord.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

https://lua-api.factorio.com/1.81/Conce ... Parameters
LogisticParameters is missing the nil interpretations. min is 0 by default, and max is infinite

-> Thanks, added to the docs with 1.1.102.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

The description for LuaEntityPrototype.allow_passengers is misleading:

Code: Select all

allow_passengers :: boolean? Read 
Whether this vehicle allows passengers.

Can only be used if this is Vehicle
Vehicles may have a driver and/or a passenger. I therefore expected that I could use vehicle.set_driver() -- but not vehicle.set_passenger() -- if vehicle was based on a prototype where allow_passengers has been set to "false". Unfortunately, this doesn't work -- if allow_passengers is false, the vehicle may have neither driver nor player. I therefore suggest using the same explanation as for Prototype/Vehicle.allow_passengers:

Determines whether this vehicle accepts passengers. This includes both drivers and gunners, if applicable.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

https://lua-api.factorio.com/1.1.83/Lua ... ning_speed

running_speed :: double? Read

The current movement speed of this character, including effects from exoskeletons, tiles, stickers and shooting.
Can only be used if this is Character
This is a prototype. Surely the running_speed is the running_speed of the Prototype/Character?
I have mods! I guess!
Link

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

LuaGuiElement API has multiple string properties, which can only assume a value from a specific set. In the JSON docs these properties should have a union type of all allowed values instead of just string. Same goes for passing these properties to LuaGuiElement.add.

-> Changed it for the type of LuaGuiElement, if you have any specific things you want changed please let us know.

_CodeGreen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by _CodeGreen »

The "filled" parameter in Rendering.draw_rectangle is marked as required, but it is in fact optional and defaults to false.

-> Fixed. See 109201.
My Mods | If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by curiosity »

https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Con ... #Alignment says that a single-word alignment implies middle vertical alignment when in reality the vertical alignment is top.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Con ... enSettings I'd love an explanation of autoplace_settings, and how it differs to autoplace_controls. autoplace_settings seems empty most of the time
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Locking this thread because any future doc requests should get their own thread in this new subforum.

Any requests already posted in this thread will be looked at, so no need to repost those issues.

Return to “Documentation Improvement Requests”