LuaPlayer.open_map(position, scale, surface)

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

LuaPlayer.open_map(position, scale, surface)

Post by Earendel »

Currently LuaPlayer.open_map() takes position and scale (optional).
I would like to be able to specify surface as an optional 3rd parameter.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: LuaPlayer.open_map(position, scale, surface)

Post by billbo99 »

This feature would be helpful in Space Exploration where people are on multiple different surfaces, or with Factorissimo / Warptorio.

Ideally if this could be added to the richtext support so when people click a map position and it goes to the console with [gps=x,y,surface]. The surface variable would be optional and default to the surface the player was on.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

The game doesn't support opening map for surface other than the player is currently on. It is pretty deeply tied to player's surface. I'm saying it so you don't expect this request to be fulfilled anytime soon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

posila wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm
The game doesn't support opening map for surface other than the player is currently on. It is pretty deeply tied to player's surface. I'm saying it so you don't expect this request to be fulfilled anytime soon.
Is it not the same as blueprint view screen?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

darkfrei wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:34 pm
posila wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm
Is it not the same as blueprint view screen?
No. In fact they share virtually nothing code wise that I can think of.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Creidhne
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Creidhne »

Hi,
I just wanted to +1 for this feature. it would be quite useful for my WIP mod: Dana. Right now I have to work with LuaPlayer.set_controller() & LuaPlayer.teleport() to swith from/to my interactive graphs, and that causes quite a few issues. Being able to just open a map (ideally with an option to disable the noise effect) would be much less bug prone.

You certainly have much better to do with the 1.0 release coming. I'm just posting in the hope that you'll consider this feature again at some point.

Sorry if I commited thread necroing :-)

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

+1 I’d love to be able to open the map on other surfaces for my mod Factory Search, primarily with Factorissimo. Though for space exploration planets I can use its navigation satellite remote interfaces.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I really could use that feature for GCKI! Players now can open a minimap for vehicles they have claimed or locked. Clicking on the minimap should open a big map view centered on their vehicle's position -- but that won't work if the vehicle is on another surface than the player (e.g. a Factorissimo building or an SE surface).
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Thebri
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Thebri »

I just got a feature request for https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AlertsList2: Opening the map on a speaker with an alarm set on a different surface. At least for 2.0 we will need this.

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Thebri wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:11 pm
At least for 2.0 we will need this.
I asked about it on discord a month ago and the answer was "sure" so it seems very likely this will be a thing :D

Return to “Modding interface requests”