New gui element type: "player-inventory"

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

New gui element type: "player-inventory"

Post by eradicator »

What?
A gui element that contains the player inventory.

Why?
To mimic vanilla machine guis.

Explanation:
In the base game every time you open a machine gui you also additionally get a frame containing the player inventory so you can easily pick up items from it and drop them into a machine. But when trying to make a modded machine with a custom gui then currently i seem to have no other choice but to reimplement the whole thing in lua. Apart from that being a certain amount of work it can also not properly mimic the "vanilla inventory experience" for items with advanced tooltips/icons like blueprints/power-armor, as all mod-gui buttons are icon-based and carry no reference to the original item-stack.

As far as i can tell the "Character" gui frame is pretty much the same size and shape regardless of if you open a chest, roboport, assembler, yourself, or anything else. Thus width should be fixed to not mess up the row order. Height would need to be customizable to make it fit to the size of surrounding elements (i.e. vanilla chest gui / player crafting view).

The new gui element should also include all vanilla button interactions (take/filter/open).
Attachments
player-gui.jpg
player-gui.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 1278 times

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New gui element type: "player-inventory"

Post by bobingabout »

I support this suggestion.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New gui element type: "player-inventory"

Post by eradicator »

@FFF248: Don't say i never asked for it :D.

Return to “Modding interface requests”