pipes are a PITA to customise graphically

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

pipes are a PITA to customise graphically

Post by aubergine18 »

I'm currently trying to customise pipe graphics for a wooden pipe I'm creating. I've had some limited success, but it's very cumbersome to work with. During the graphic updates for 0.15, would it be possible to make pipes a bit easier to graphically customise? (like walls are relatively easy).

Alternatively, could walls be given "up t-junction" and "cross junction" sprites, as currently it seems they don't have these options. If they did, I could use walls to display the graphical component of my custom pipes, and just use blank images for the pipes themselves, auto-creating/removing the walls when pipes are added/removed in much same way as concrete-lamppost adds/removes sibling entities.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: pipes are a PITA to customise graphically

Post by Rseding91 »

Pipes are complex. Walls are not. Pipes can be on entities and render end-points + have fluid indicators on them. Walls are just connected-texture like entities. That's just how it is due to the nature of what pipes have to do.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: pipes are a PITA to customise graphically

Post by aubergine18 »

Yup. I should have closed this request some time ago; it was written at time when I was at peak of hair-pulling-out whilst modding some wooden pipes but have since got it working. The main thing that initially confused me was the seemingly random sizes of the pipe images etc., but have since wrapped my head around it.

In relation to walls, I was wondering if there is a property for custom cross section in the case where there is wall in a "+" arrangement. Currently it seems it uses a "T" for the centre+left+right+bottom and then draws a separate "|" for the top section, the assumption being that that the "T" section overlaid on top of the "|" will suffice. (I hope that makes sense, I struggle to explain the issue properly). Having a dedicated sprite for when walls are arranged in a "+" layout would be very desirable (I'm thinking of using walls to lay roads, complete with road markings, hence the need to handle "+" shaped junctions properly).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Return to “Modding interface requests”