Mod accessible Render Layers

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod accessible Render Layers

Post by CmdrKeen »

I have a mod in progress thats stuck as WIP because I cannot assign custom render layers to the prototypes in the mod. As stands the mod looks something like this:

https://gfycat.com/NeighboringEvergreenConey

The tank in the gif is actually 2 vehicles to allow two players to control different aspects of the tank (gunner/driver type setup) and 2 other 'attached' entities' to test the interface I made.

If the render layers could be accessible in the prototype and not hard-coded it should fix my issues.
Last edited by CmdrKeen on Mon May 23, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod accessible Render Layers

Post by Supercheese »

Looks like a neat idea, but yeah, monstrous clipping issues.

Moonheart08
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Moonheart08 »

Generally, without a new class full of functions, this would be really hard. Just use the built in one

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

Moonheart08 wrote:Generally, without a new class full of functions, this would be really hard. Just use the built in one
for decorative objects it's as simple as adding this:
render_layer = "decorative",

to the prototype definition.

for other objects, when you try and add it. it either silently fails or the game has a hard coded layer based on entity type that takes precedence on it. I imagine the hard coding is to prevent graphical errors from happening, but allowing certain layers to be set by the render_layer property would be helpful.

to try and prevent graphical errors, I imagine it'd be possible to add render layers like object-c1 ... object-c5 and set only those as acceptable entries, and set those in the layer hierarchy where appropriate.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

@CmdrKeen sorry for the post necro, but did you ever post the code for that mod anywhere? I was planning to do something similar in a mod but didn't realise it was possible to have that sort of effect...
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

I never did post the code for that mod. I should take a look at making availiable on my github page, the graphics are from the sony game infantry and I have questions as to whether I can use it or not...

CmdrKeen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CmdrKeen »

finally spent time to port from 0.12 and upload: the code for the API is here:

https://github.com/msu320/turrets_API

Return to “Modding interface requests”