Separate the 2 functions of "catalyst_amount" into 2 parameters

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Wiwiweb
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Separate the 2 functions of "catalyst_amount" into 2 parameters

Post by Wiwiweb »

What?
Currently you can add a "catalyst_amount" parameter to ingredients or results of a recipe.
Added on an result, this has two functions:
  • It stops the product from appearing in production stats.
  • It prevents it from being affected by productivity.
I would like have 2 new parameters to individually control these two functions with 2 new booleans: "ignored_by_stats" and "ignored_by_productivity".

In addition, "catalyst_amount" acts on stats in strange ways when the amount products is variable (either via probability or with amount_min/amount_max).
For example if a recipe has 50% chance to output stone, and that product has catalyst_amount = 1 (has to be an int), then when the recipe outputs stone it works as expected (stone does not appear in stats) but when the recipe does not output stone then 1 stone appears in consumption stats. I'm guessing the catalyst amount is subtracted from the actual amount produced, which results in -1 production, which ends up as 1 consumption.

The "ignored_by_stats" boolean proposed would allow variable results to be properly ignored in stats.
Why?
In SE, we have a lot of recipes that output stone or sand as byproduct, which is usually something players want to get rid of. We currently mark those as catalyst because we want to encourage high productivity, and we don't want players to be punished for it by getting more waste. This makes sense thematically too since a more productive machine could get more usable ore and less waste.

But the byproducts end up not showing up in production stats even though it is produced. Sometimes it may even show in consumption stat because of the issue with variable products mentioned above.

Ideally, we would prevent productivity on this product, while still having it show in statistics.

Thanks!

curiosity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Separate the 2 functions of "catalyst_amount" into 2 parameters

Post by curiosity »

Wiwiweb wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:23 pm
For example if a recipe has 50% chance to output stone, and that product has catalyst_amount = 1 (has to be an int), then when the recipe outputs stone it works as expected (stone does not appear in stats) but when the recipe does not output stone then 1 stone appears in consumption stats. I'm guessing the catalyst amount is subtracted from the actual amount produced, which results in -1 production, which ends up as 1 consumption.
This should be submitted as a bug report.

spiral_power
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by spiral_power »

Cheers!

Here's my earlier post.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=90157

KiwiHawk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

Makes sense! The new parameter would only need to be added to products though, not ingredients.
Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

KiwiHawk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by KiwiHawk »

Revisiting October 2023

I've once again come across the need for this in Angel's! Any bug reports we get about the production graphs being wrong we just have to call a known issue, outside our control.

Dev for Bob's mods, Angel's mods, Helmod, Sea Block, Circuit Processing, Science Cost Tweaker.

Buy me a coffee

Return to “Modding interface requests”