Mod flag to trigger mod sync dialog on load of save without the mod

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Mod flag to trigger mod sync dialog on load of save without the mod

Post by sparr »

If I try to load a save that used a mod that I don't have loaded, I'll get prompted to sync mods. That sync dialog will also include disabling mods I have loaded that weren't loaded when the save was created. However, if I have some new mods loaded and load a save without them, that goes through silently.

This is usually desired behavior. People intentionally add mods to their games all the time. But some mods are much worse for this than others. E.G. adding a mod that shortens power pole connection distance will break your whole base.

I propose a single boolean flag to be added to mod info, specifying that adding this mod to an existing save should trigger the mod sync dialog or some similar dialog to warn the user and give them the opportunity to fully or partially or not sync at their discretion. Most mods that modify vanilla recipes or entities would get this flag, and most other mods would not.

This post brought to you by my loading a mod pack to play one save, then loading another save and not getting prompted to sync mods, then discovering an hour later that my base had been horribly broken :/

Return to “Modding interface requests”