"walking_speed_modifier" for Enemy Units

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

"walking_speed_modifier" for Enemy Units

Post by TheSAguy »

Could we please get a Speed Modifier that affects Enemy units.
It appears that "walking_speed_modifier" only affects the player.

Thanks.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "walking_speed_modifier" for Enemy Units

Post by Klonan »

You can write speed to individual units directly, which is a lot more powerful in any case

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Is this the one having to do with terrain? Like making terrain that slows enemies?

Because if so, that would be a poor solution, having to pick every enemy and check the terrain they are on.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm
Is this the one having to do with terrain? Like making terrain that slows enemies?

Because if so, that would be a poor solution, having to pick every enemy and check the terrain they are on.
There is a flag for units being affected by tiles, `affected_by_tiles`. It defaults to false.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:

There is a flag for units being affected by tiles, `affected_by_tiles`. It defaults to false.
The followthrough, I guess, is how you can make tiles that let you build terrain that you move faster on, and enemies move slower on, or vice versa.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Klonan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:

The followthrough, I guess, is how you can make tiles that let you build terrain that you move faster on, and enemies move slower on, or vice versa.
Correct, it would be nice to be able to crate a terrain type that will slow down enemy units, but not the player.
It would be good if it could affect by force, so you can slow enemy force and speed up player force.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

TheSAguy wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:21 pm
Correct, it would be nice to be able to crate a terrain type that will slow down enemy units, but not the player.
It would be good if it could affect by force, so you can slow enemy force and speed up player force.
Closest mechanic I've seen is a modified landmine, which was basically barbed wire. Had the slowdown capsule effect and damage when it went off, and didn't take damage itself. But obviously that would be inefficient for such purposes.

As for terrain to slow biters, I think grating would work. I seem to recall it being used to stop cowses from leaving an area, but letting people walk over it fine. Not sure though.

In any case, being able to make shallow water slow players and biters, while concrete only speeds up the player, tank, etc, and biter bases can spread "Totally not Creep from Starcraft" to speed themselves up, would all be quite nice usage of the requested API.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I think if we were to look into some sort of Unit based expansion or spin-off... we would consider such additions

For now, from what I see, filtering based on unit type or tile type, is at about 'Not impossible' in the range of easy to impossible.

One major point, is that tiles don't have force, and probably never will. So something like creep only affecting friendly units, probably won't ever be possible.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Klonan wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm
I think if we were to look into some sort of Unit based expansion or spin-off... we would consider such additions

For now, from what I see, filtering based on unit type or tile type, is at about 'Not impossible' in the range of easy to impossible.

One major point, is that tiles don't have force, and probably never will. So something like creep only affecting friendly units, probably won't ever be possible.
Not a big deal. Just allow speed modifiers by entity type, and have entities have speed modifier... modifiers... Like tanks do.

As a side note, Creep in Starcraft isn't owned by any player, it effects all zerg units equally.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Modding interface requests”