An itsy-bitsy question no-how related to factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Andrzejef
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

An itsy-bitsy question no-how related to factorio

Post by Andrzejef »

Hi there,
first of all the disclaimer: I asked this in a few places aleady (last time sent a few emails to my history teachers, still waiting for any answer tho), so it's only natural I would also try here. Ready? Yes, no? Anyhow, here goes. :)
So, I finished reading Prince by Machiavelli recently, but don't worry I don't want to drag you into politically-philosophical debates here. It's that Machiavelli was using a term "Messer" in his let's call it "history recalls" (like "Messer Annibale Bentivoglio, who was prince in Bologna" or "not one of his family survived but Messer Giovanni"). I did some research on my own, and I learned that "Messer" was a form of address, that was used when one wanted to express his or hers respect, without mentioning interlocutor's titles and offices (kind of like "Mr Smith", I think). So, the question is - what would be its female counterpart? Like, you know - "Lord/Lady", or "Sir/Madam".
Why do I care? Because I want to use it in my graphomaniac short stories, silly :mrgreen:

I won't hide, I'd be most glad if such existed for real, it seems odd there may be none, and it feels oddly annoying I can't find any :(
But, if there wasn't such form of address, don't worry - after all even legendary Salomon can't pour from empty jug :mrgreen: . Instead, let your creativity loose, and feel free to create, come up with some, that you think would fit best. Remember, no one forbid filling aforementioned jug beforehand :)

That's all, hope your evening/morning/day/night/anytime is great :)

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: An itsy-bitsy question no-how related to factorio

Post by steinio »

Gabel

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

nonstickfrypan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nonstickfrypan »

The correct spelling is actually Messrs (and is not typically encountered very much at all in modern English, however it might be in some very formal contexts). An equivalent for a group of females would be Mesdames.

Edit: I misread your question. So regard it as extra information. The correct female equivalent for a singular would probably be, simply, Madame, Dame[1], or Lady

[1] Dame is probably archaic and no longer used (at least in normal contexts)

Andrzejef
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Andrzejef »

Thank you guys, you're awesome :)
Factorio vs Teachers&Lecturers 1:0 :mrgreen:

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tobsimon »

"Messrs" is most probably borrowed from French "Mesdames et Messieurs!" (when addressing a crowd), which translated to "Ladies and Gentlemen!".

But since "Messer" is German for "knife" and "Gabel" means "fork", I like this counterpart the best :D .

Return to “Off topic”