Hash for 0.14.7

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
lolfish96@gmail.com
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Hash for 0.14.7

Post by lolfish96@gmail.com »

Does anyone here got the hash (MD5) for the 0.14.7 version?
Here is what i got: F5175A563F860F426B0BFAEE3025AC63

Thanks,
Falck

lolfish96@gmail.com
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Hash for 0.14.7

Post by lolfish96@gmail.com »

Anyone? I´m a bit paranoid since I downloaded that version when my computer was infected and thought a virus might be able to tamper with the file. And since the version is no longer available for download its impossible for me to check. Idk its probably nothing but it would be nice to know for sure since I already ran it on my computer. Would really appreciate if someone could answer! :|

Thanks

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Where did you download it from?

There shouldn't be any sort of malware in Factorio obtained from the official distribution channels, and if there ever was the community would be in a gigantic uproar over it.

Also, MD5 is well known to be unreliable for identifying file integrity because of how easy it is to achieve a hash collision. You really want the SHA hash of the 0.14.7 binary to make sure it is actually correct- but again if it came from an official source it should be a nonissue.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Masterfox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Masterfox »

OdinYggd wrote:Where did you download it from?

There shouldn't be any sort of malware in Factorio obtained from the official distribution channels, and if there ever was the community would be in a gigantic uproar over it.

Also, MD5 is well known to be unreliable for identifying file integrity because of how easy it is to achieve a hash collision. You really want the SHA hash of the 0.14.7 binary to make sure it is actually correct- but again if it came from an official source it should be a nonissue.
Had you read his text, you knew there was a virus on his PC, so it doesn't matter whether it was the original source or not.
Guess you should ask a dev, they should have the hashes.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Masterfox wrote:
OdinYggd wrote:Where did you download it from?

Had you read his text, you knew there was a virus on his PC, so it doesn't matter whether it was the original source or not.
Guess you should ask a dev, they should have the hashes.
He downloaded it via torrent or some such. Had it obtained it legally, he could just download another copy direct from the official site. No one should give the hash out imho.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Well the 0.14.7 version isn't available any more on the website, 0.14.8 is the earliest 0.14.x version available. I'm not on my home PC atm so can't check Steam.

However if you were worried about malware you would need to check every file on your computer, good luck with that. Malware targets system files it knows will be there, not obscure games that are present on 0.0001% of all computers. So legitimately downloaded copies of Factorio will stay that way.

Seriously if you enjoy the demo just buy the damn game, you'll benefit from all the updates and support the developers because this truly is an awesome game.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Off topic”