Is this because of my router?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Mindblower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is this because of my router?

Post by Mindblower »

My internet is unbelievably slow and my friend tells me that it's because of my router. My plan is for 10mbps but I'm not even getting 1mbps. I was told to get a new router but I'm a little bit short right now and can't afford a new one. Any ideas?

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Is this because of my router?

Post by Kayanor »

I should have a 16 Mbps connection. While day I usually get around 13 Mbps, every evening between it drops to 0.5 and 3 Mbps.
In my case the old old copper cable is just overloaded.

If I were you I'd contact the support of my ISP. Usually a technitian (?) will come to you to detect the problem.
Former moderator.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Never forget that ISPs sell (at least in France) XX Mbps "Max", which means that under ideal condition, while sitting on top of the Main Distribution Frame you're connected to, you can get up to XX mbps. I am sold "20 Mbps max", but the most I can hope to get is around 4.5 mbps (because I live like over 3 km of my MDF).
I don't know how things work out of France however.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Khaylain
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Khaylain »

It could be, as Kajanor said, that the old copper cable is just used to the max capacity. If you have fiber-optic then I'd wager it's your router. Either way I'd recomeend doing a Kajanor said and contact the ISP. They'll be more able to help you with any problems than we on this forum.

@Kajanor: You were close with "technitian", I had to look it up to make sure I got it right, and it's "technician". I knew something didn't feel quite right about "technitian", but I couldn't put my finger on it :D

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

"Speed and up time not guaranteed"
Basically means they can claim any bandwidth they want even if they know the wires can't support it or even throttle your speed and regardless of the situation you can't do anything about it since they put that loop hole in the terms of service just in case somebody tries to take them to court.

On a router related note though, depending on the router you are using, it *is* possible that it can't handle the traffic your trying to put through it. Either because it is old and failing, or just not built to modern standards. I've had routers that would sometimes reboot whenever trying to push large amounts of data through them. They would work for a few mins, then reboot as if they crashed, but outside of downloading or streaming over my home network they would work fine.

I've had it start happening with routers after being used for several years. Not constantly, it would slowly grow worse.
I've also had it happen with brand new routers as well, consistently and every time attempted. But only ones that didn't support VPN. Replace the router with the same model that supports VPN and it worked fine.

And, in these examples, 'too much traffic' was only 200kb/sec.

Mindblower
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mindblower »

I did just that. Call my ISP and they did send a technician whose check-up services I had to pay. :x
Anyway, he told me that I need to buy a new router. My friend suggested that I buy from Aerohive because the one she has is from them and said that it works like a charm.
Any advice?
Last edited by daniel34 on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed, looks like advertising, sorry ;)

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Mindblower wrote:I did just that. Call my ISP and they did send a technician whose check-up services I had to pay. :x
Anyway, he told me that I need to buy a new router. My friend suggested that I buy from Aerohive because the one she has is from them and said that it works like a charm.
Any advice?
I am good with a fritz-box :). (no link, so daniel have not to do the removal thing, but google is your friend ;))

Return to “Off topic”