unknown story game

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

unknown story game

Post by Impatient »

i would like to initiate a game of "unknown story". in general the game rules of "unknown story" are these:

1. read only the last part of a story, which for the most part is unknown to you.
2. continue the story with whatever comes to your mind after reading the last part.

usually this is played by at least 3 players, who write down sentences on a sheet of paper and fold the sheet in a way, so only the last sentence can be read.

here in the forum we can play this with replies. a player would read only the last reply and continue the story with a new reply. and we would use the spoiler tag to hide the text. of course everyone can read everything. but i want to stress, that if you do read more of the story you would spoil it foremost for yourself and to a lesser degree for the others. for the others because the storyline taking some apprupt bents and changes and misinterpretations and guesses of what happened in the story before, is what makes the final story funny (in most cases). also note that the story is more interesting, if a player tries to continue the story and does not start something completely unrelated to the last written part.

when the story is finished we would just copy all the parts together, so that it will form a continuous text.

to limit the story in size i suggest writing only 40 parts. to know which is the actual number of the part, a player would write "part x/40" in the reply before writing the part.

there is one last thing to know: this kind of game needs at least 3 players or in other words every player not writing more frequent than every 3rd part of the story. why? otherwise a player would know more than the last part of the story. (i give some examples below). so in a setting like this, where everyone can join in, a player who wrote a part, would memorize the number of the part she/he has written and write a part not sooner, than <part number>+2.

examples:

player A writes:
part 1/40
mrs smith left her appartment.
player B reads part 1 and writes:
part 2/40
on the floor outside she met mrs smithers. and presented lovely mrs smithers a flower.
player C reads ONLY part 2 and writes:
part 3/40
mrs smithers made a face like ...
player D reads ONLY part 3 and writes:
part 4/40
... pure pain. so i took a ...
player E reads ONLY part 4 and writes:
part 5/40
... bottel of schnapps and poured it over the spot where it hurt.
now impatient player D, who wrote part 4 reads part 5 and writes part 6. which should not be done according to the rules. player D now has knowledge of part 3, 4 AND 5 instead of just part 5 and intended or unintended, references information of both parts in part 6, which leads to an unintended continuity of the story:
part 6/40
although the schnapps was pure, the pain did not get less pure.

i believe you get the idea of how this game works. if you want to play, go to the last page of this thread and reply to the last part of the story.

lets have fun! i start the story in the next reply.
Last edited by Impatient on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: unknown story game

Post by Impatient »

part 1/40
Crawling out of the smoldering wreckage of the space ship, the astronaut glimpses at a vast, flat stretch of land, broken up just by a few patches of forest and the flickering of moist air where he suspects to be small lakes. in the far distant ... didn't there move just something? a device at the astronauts belt starts beeping. ...

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

2/40
...but he ignored the device and started to walk to the forest nearby. It was a huge and dark forest but he, Ash White, had no fear and walked straight to the forest, his headlight on and discovered a little path...
Last edited by Tepalus on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Overene
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Overene »

3/40
...He followed down the path, and discovered what appeared to be a small alien nest...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

4/40
Curious, he stepped closer, craning his neck to get a better look. The inhabitants, smelling someone was outside, quickly got out of the nest to investigate. He froze immediately upon seeing them...

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

5/40
..., thinking it might render himself invisible. But as they just wouldn't slow down, he started running in a random direction - just in the nick of time.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Unfortunately he was running to the west. Nothing is bad about the west except the big orangejuice-volcano named Dolf.
So he was running and running and running and he came closer to Dolf than expected and Dolf woke up and was very angry about the dump and loud noises which were coming from the big stereos the guy carried.
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

7/40
Dolf, referenced as "a Dolf" by scientists, had the habit of making a lot of noise itself. loud noise, that sounds funny at first, but that made listener go mad in the long run. a listener either becomes very aggressive, delusional with thoughts of personal invincibility and starts doing inhumane things, or a listener sees the danger, emmited by Dolf, covers ones ears, and wants to silence Dolf by blowing it up.

he stood there, at the foot of Dolf, not knowing any of this, just noticing, that Dolf started to make some sort of squeaky, funny sounding noise. ...

SWSe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SWSe »

8/40
Fascinated, he listened. It would take another hour until he was drawn back into reality by an unpleasant visitor. And truly, he now felt an urge to rid this rising feeling of anger.

Return to “Off topic”