Factorio IRC Drama

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Factorio IRC Drama

Post by Kane »

I was streaming today and had posted my stream once and that has never been an issue before. I ran into a massive bug with Ion Cannon and it caused a desyncing issue and so I tried to poke Supercheese on IRC about it. One the best things about a lot the active devs I have dealt with on IRC is if they are on they will hop right on and watch the issue and take notes. Sadly he did not seem to be on no problem I shut down my stream anyways.

The abuser named Malachite ended up banning me for advertising well it was him pretty much whining about advertising the link (not a issue we ever had before) and being a total dick... I told him to Fuck off and clearly it was in the correct usage when someone is being a total dick. He then thought he was some sort of special Operator. Does he work for the telephone company? Man very special. Anyways I asked to be unbanned and he told me some jesus stuff.

I quote:
"<Malachite> Just as soon as you show repentance."

Excuse me? Factorio is supporting this?

re·pent·ance
rəˈpentəns/
noun
the action of repenting; sincere regret or remorse.
"each person who turns to God in genuine repentance and faith will be saved"

What has this world come to? Is not alien life, other planets, etc more Atheism and why am I being forced to repent to god?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Factorio IRC Mod Abuse.

Post by Oxyd »

I am going to add a bit more context here:

Code: Select all

23:58 <Kane_Hart> is ion cannon :(
23:58 <Kane_Hart> I clicked the button for more info
23:58 <Kane_Hart> Ion Cannons icon
23:58 <Kane_Hart> and boom
23:58 <Kane_Hart> desycn loop
23:58 <Kane_Hart> http://www.twitch.tv/stonelegion
23:58 <@Malachite> you know, you can take advertising too far
23:59 <Kane_Hart> Malachite lol advertising what :p
00:00 <@Malachite> ok, ill make it clear. stop posting links to your twitch unless someone shows an interest in it.
00:00 <Kane_Hart> Malachite fuck off
00:00 -- Mode #factorio [+b *!*Kane_Hart@*.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com] by Malachite

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Thanks this does support me better then just me saying I said to fuck off :)

But at that point it's inexcusable for him to expect religious actions to be unbanned.

malcom2073
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by malcom2073 »

He is some sort of special operator. It's called being an "operator". This means if he tells you to do something and you A: Don't do it, or B: Are rude to him in response, he has every right to remove you from the channel. That is how IRC works.

As for repentance, don't bring religion into it. You're taking an example usage as the definition of the word for some website rather than looking at the definiton. You need to express "sincere regret or remorse", of which your post here shows neither.

Don't use google for word definitions, use a dictionary.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

Yeah, I had identified the issue with ion cannon v1.0.8 earlier and will post an update later today, but I had to leave for work just before your conversation it seems, and I kept idling on IRC because, well, that's just what you do, eh? For the time being, you can go back to v1.0.7 which should be free of the problem - sorry if this caused any undue consternation. :?

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

malcom2073 wrote:He is some sort of special operator. It's called being an "operator". This means if he tells you to do something and you A: Don't do it, or B: Are rude to him in response, he has every right to remove you from the channel. That is how IRC works.

As for repentance, don't bring religion into it. You're taking an example usage as the definition of the word for some website rather than looking at the definiton. You need to express "sincere regret or remorse", of which your post here shows neither.

Don't use google for word definitions, use a dictionary.
I choose to interrupt the way it sounded to me. Either way it was a poor choice of words on his side. If he said something like don't be a dick I would have been fine sorry. But instead he was acting like he wanted me to bow down to him. That I will not happen. Clearly I could of picked better words but at the same time the context speaks for itself. I was not really in the wrong till I was rude but then again that is in context as well. Swearing in my opinions is normal part of a daily and healthy life. Some others might find it quite offensive. This is a good example of how people might take certian words out of context like your saying I'm doing with repent. I mean I clearly was hoping to have intercourse you know ;) Joking aside I'm not bowing down to Malachite!

Even more so since he has not handled any of this professionally.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Supercheese wrote:Yeah, I had identified the issue with ion cannon v1.0.8 earlier and will post an update later today, but I had to leave for work just before your conversation it seems, and I kept idling on IRC because, well, that's just what you do, eh? For the time being, you can go back to v1.0.7 which should be free of the problem - sorry if this caused any undue consternation. :?
haha Supercheese! Thanks for the info. It's fine I was going make a video on it and post it but I guess you know about the issue. Once I had clicked the ion cannon and the info popped up it went bye bye. It's not a big deal I have never streamed for numbers I just stream when I'm enjoying a game show it off to a few people who have questions about Factorio. I was super apologetic and told them that mod devs are wonderful and will have the issue fixed soon.

PS: malcom2073 Who said mine was not trolling to begin with :)

Tankh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tankh »

Kane,

How about instead of instantly telling the op to "Fuck Off" when told to stop posting a link, you tell them "sorry" and/or explain why you posted the link.

It's your instant resolving to profanity and insults that got you banned, not the advertising.
His comment about advertising was a warning since it wasn't the first time you posted the link to your own stream.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Tankh wrote:Kane,

How about instead of instantly telling the op to "Fuck Off" when told to stop posting a link, you tell them "sorry" and/or explain why you posted the link.

It's your instant resolving to profanity and insults that got you banned, not the advertising.
His comment about advertising was a warning since it wasn't the first time you posted the link to your own stream.
Is this a new thing though? because I could go through years of links to peoples streams. It use to be totally fine to just say hey guys i'm streaming today here is the link. I have never as far as I recall unless I passively ignored him been told not to post your links. I guess the new rule change on that for me is what is setting me off.

It's one thing to keep advertising multiple times a day but once and of course tell a mod dev about it on the side who did get back to me did not seem a crime.

Also profanity? Is there a PG 13 rule? Because even then you can say fuck at least once :P And most of us would be banned 10 times over including the devs if swearing was an issue on IRC. It's normally a place to let lose. I mean we are on esper afterall and not with the nuts on Freenode where you think out of turn your banned.

malcom2073
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by malcom2073 »

Kane wrote:Also profanity? Is there a PG 13 rule?
It's not what you said, it's how you said it.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

malcom2073 wrote:
Kane wrote:Also profanity? Is there a PG 13 rule?
It's not what you said, it's how you said it.
Oh well. Excuse me while I dig myself

malcom2073
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by malcom2073 »

[18:56:26] <malcom2073> Lol Malachite: He's incapable of understanding
[18:56:45] <Kane_Hart> incapable or just trolling?

And on that note, I'm bowing out. I tried to help you understand, but you want to troll rather than be a productive member of the community.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

malcom2073 wrote:[18:56:26] <malcom2073> Lol Malachite: He's incapable of understanding
[18:56:45] <Kane_Hart> incapable or just trolling?

And on that note, I'm bowing out. I tried to help you understand, but you want to troll rather than be a productive member of the community.
Very true :P I'm bored I guess I do know the error of my ways but the entire post was a troll tbh I will admit that lol. I reported this thread since clearly I'm just being an ass and disrupting everyone's day. I will go take it out on some bitters instead ;)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Moved to off topic

Please guys, we're all adults.

I'm not siding with either side,
but i trust that they can make amends with one another,
and carry on being respectable members of the community

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio IRC Drama

Post by Kane »

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio IRC Drama

Post by Koub »

Enough said, there is no reason why this thread should go on. If someone wants to show some kind of regret for what happened, it will have to be private.
Topic locked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Off topic”