New laptop and Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Shekki
Inserter
Inserter

New laptop and Factorio

Post by Shekki »

Okay, my current laptop sometimes freezes some functions, like browser, basic drives (I mean when I browse files in D: or C:). So I'm getting new laptop, but I want buy powerful enough so I can keep playing Factorio. So what you think how much perfomance Factorio will need in future? So much stuff/robots will be flying around, and maps need more and more ram as they expand more. Also as if new graphics come in, I want make sure my new laptop runs Factorio. =)

Here is laptop that has caught my eyes on:
HP 15-R210NO laptop
  • Microprocessor: 2.16 GHz Intel Pentium N3540 with Intel HD Graphics
    Microprocessor Cache: 2 MB cache, 4 cores
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
    Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
    Display: 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
    Hard Drive :1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Sounds good to me, but I don't know if video graphics is any good.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New laptop and Factorio

Post by Nic »

I use a very cheap notebook which has only a dualcore processor and integrated graphics - it can run 0.12.x very well (previous versions were laggy).
So I assume it will run more than good on your new notebook.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Shekki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shekki »

Yeah, but I want make sure I can run it in future. Maybe if devs answer on this.. :roll:

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Then I'd recommend two things:
1. Actual GPU with at least 1GB of RAM.
2. Decent CPU of at least I3 family.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

Shekki wrote:Yeah, but I want make sure I can run it in future. Maybe if devs answer on this.. :roll:
The game will only become more ressource efficient. Not more ressource hungry. ;)
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Shekki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shekki »

Nic wrote:
Shekki wrote:Yeah, but I want make sure I can run it in future. Maybe if devs answer on this.. :roll:
The game will only become more ressource efficient. Not more ressource hungry. ;)
Oh really? then I just get what I have posted.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

Nic wrote:
How so? I want a more complex game, with actual ground robots.

Such thing will grind the CPU to a halt.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

The developers said they plan on making more optimizations to the game, and have also said in the past that they want the game to be at least playable on computers that aren't top-of-the-line.

Anyway, the performance it still highly dependent on the size of your factory - you can have modest factories running flawlessly on humble 3, 4 or even 5-year old laptops, and then you have mega-bases that grind even high-end gamer computers to a crawling 5 FPS.
So what you have to ask yourself is - how big do you like to build? If you are content with small to medium (say - up to 10K iron and 10K copper per minute) I guess this laptop will be enough; but if, on the other hand, you want to build a massive mega-base with hundreds of trains and sending a satellite into orbit every minute (or even faster), then even an i7 with 16GB of RAM and a top-notch GPU may not be enough.
Future versions may enable us to build bigger factories, but there will always be players crazy enough to build factories that stretch the abilities to the maximum.

Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nic »

kiba wrote:
Nic wrote:
How so? I want a more complex game, with actual ground robots.

Such thing will grind the CPU to a halt.
I am not sure about mods - the vanilla got so much more efficient with the one update - read about how they did it in this FFF post:
Most interesting: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-93

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-82

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-70

dolly
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by dolly »

gtx 780 ti, gtx 980 and 970 are very good ones

Some graphics cards advice http://pc4u.org/best-graphics-card-unde ... 0p-gaming/

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Shekki wrote:
  • Microprocessor: 2.16 GHz Intel Pentium N3540 with Intel HD Graphics
    Microprocessor Cache: 2 MB cache, 4 cores
    Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
    Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
    Display: 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
    Hard Drive :1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
If you can afford,I'd recommend a few things:
- Get a processor of at least the i3 i5 family
- Get at least 2x8GB of ram, or whichever you go with (say 2x4GB), make sure your computer has Dual Channel support and it has 2 sticks. SPECIALLY if you running Intel HD Graphics. You can also buy an extra 8GB stick.
- I'd recommend getting any graphics card that's not the Intel default one. Even a 620M, 630M should be more efficient, even for running videos on the future, and prevent lagging. Your computer will start to slowdown pretty fast on Windows. Same applies if you run Ubuntu.
- Now, I see that you are running a budget, so I doubt you'll ever get an SSD, but I can't recommend enough that SSDs are a nice thing to have. Being able to boot up my computer from turned off to usable in 8 seconds is a nice thing to have. Even a 128GB SSD with a 1TB external disk storage is better than 1TB storage IMO.

Return to “Off topic”