FPS/UPS flickering and CPU C-States

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
havarc
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

FPS/UPS flickering and CPU C-States

Post by havarc »

Just throwing this in here...
I was just watching Linus talking about CPU Performance variation on Test-benches and "something like Factorio" having the widest variation, and it just popped into my head: This game is super optimised, yet I get this flickering between 59.9 and 60 FPS/UPS in any map and base. Anyway, would it by chance be, that the CPU thinks it can go to sleep every so often, then Factorio reminding it that it still has stuff to do, that this flickering (and possibly this wide variation in performance) is caused by.
Again, just thinking out loud here!

PS: it's late, I'm half drunk and I have my first day on my next IT job tomorrow, so please don't judge me!
edit: also sorry for my fancy sentencing!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FPS/UPS flickering and CPU C-States

Post by FuryoftheStars »

havarc wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:58 pm
PS: it's late, I'm half drunk and I have my first day on my next IT job tomorrow, so please don't judge me!
edit: also sorry for my fancy sentencing!
:lol:
(gl on the job)

On a more serious note, without doing any research into it, my first thought to explain Factorio's flickering UPS is because it's not processing exactly the same number or complexity of tasks every tick. But in all honesty, I don't know.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Off topic”