Aoe damage from fluid turret

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
rocifier
Inserter
Inserter

Aoe damage from fluid turret

Post by rocifier »

Hi :D I'm trying to make a fluid turret "spray" acid all around itself for aoe damage to biters. I am modding a fluid turret to do this and have thought of two approaches to get it to work:

1) All biters within range will be attacked rapidly in a round-robin fashion to simulate area damage. I cannot figure out a way to do this with stream damage type.
2) The turret attacks itself (0,0) with enemy-only damage. Unfortunately I also cannot figure out how to do this, as all ammo types seem to auto select enemies?

How can I gain more control over what my turret attacks? Alternatively is there another approach that would work for this turret? Something like exploding a poison capsule at the turret position?

EDIT: I've kinda got this working using an onTick event handler and just overriding damage using code. No idea if this is the best approach, it seems slightly inefficient, but perhaps not if the game entity lookups are highly efficient.

Code: Select all

local Public = {}

function Public.onTick(e)
    -- AOE damage
    if e.tick % 20 == 0 then
        for _, turret in pairs(game.surfaces[1].find_entities_filtered{name="acidturret"}) do
            local enemiesInRange = turret.surface.find_entities_filtered{
                position = turret.position,
                radius = turret.prototype.attack_parameters.range,
                direction = turret.direction,
                force = "enemy"
            }
            for _, target in pairs(enemiesInRange) do
                target.damage(2, "enemy", "acid")
            end
        end
    end
end