Shifting hue of graphic from another mod

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
andreinafactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Shifting hue of graphic from another mod

Post by andreinafactory »

Is it possible to use blending modes to shift the hue of a sprite? I'm trying to change a entity graphic from a different mod from a copper color to a very light blue grey. All attempts I've made so far to use additional layers with tint and the blending modes haven't worked. I either blow out the colors or it gets too dark. I can't copy the image files from the other mod due to the other mod's license.

The specific property I'm working with is https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Turret#base_picture

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Shifting hue of graphic from another mod

Post by Deadlock989 »

No, it isn't. You can use tint, which is multiplicative, but not a "hue shift" per se. That's it.

andreinafactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thanks Deadlock! It's funny you are the one who responded because I was trying to create a steel tier of the scattergun turret with more health.

I'll post a feature request to have a "saturation" blend mode. For now I'll just make the mod for myself and not distribute it.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

It has been asked for before, more than once. The answer was a very roundabout "no", e.g.: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=71190&p=434902&hilit=hue#p434902

There's no substitute for actually rendering the graphics you actually want. The steel texture in IR isn't just the copper texture without any saturation. They have different dirt, different reflectivity, different variations in general - I think some of the steel stuff has anisotropy etc. etc.

I'm not completely closed to the idea of adding a later-game scattergun turret to IR - it had already occurred to me, I just didn't think there'd be much demand for it. The main thing that stopped me was that the main drawback of those turrets is the range, so if you wanted a broad scatter effect with better range it would need a whole new class of ammo, because with physical projectile turrets, range is a property of the ammo.

andreinafactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thanks for linking that "hue" request thread. That's good to know.

I have admired the graphics in IR the entire time I've played it. The aesthetic and attention to detail is incredible. I didn't mean to suggest that the copper/iron/steel variants are simply recolored. While I'm a competent developer, creating graphics is not within my skill set so it would have absolutely been a poor-man's steel graphic :)

Since a higher tier scatter gun is something you've already thought about, I'll post something later tonight to the IR thread about what my personal reasoning was for it.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Two software programs may be of you to you. Both are free to download and use. Gimp and Bender. I recommend downloading them and "mucking around" with them for a bit.

I also recommend downloading and taking a look how tinting is done in the mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/high-pressure-pipes.

Hiladdar

Return to “Modding help”