High speed locomotive stalls with "No path"

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

High speed locomotive stalls with "No path"

Post by Boogieman14 »

So I have this sprawling rail network with numerous locomotives running around hauling stuff. I also use this network to get around myself with a dedicated loc. To get this done a bit faster, I've been trying to make my own high speed locomotive (I know dytech includes one, but I don't want all the modifications that come with dytech-core). Now, I've been reasonably succesful in that I managed to create a working locomotive and I've been able to get the acceleration up quite a bit. However, as soon as I move the top speed to 1.5 or beyond, the loc will randomly just stop every so often and display the 'no path' floaty. Now, obviously this no path indication is incorrect because it did start on its trip (and will resume when I stop/start until it stalls again a few chunks on). It doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with my locomotive definition as it appears to be working fine with a 1.2 top speed. I've also tried dytech's high speed loc and this seems to show the same behaviour...

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem? Or is this a bug that the Factorio devs would have to look into?

I'd be happy to provide my mod, but since it also happens with Dytech's, I doubt there's anything in my code causing this.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: High speed locomotive stalls with "No path"

Post by DerivePi »

I've witnessed this behavior as well for Dytech. The locomotive started up again when I put another signal on its loop, but then I found it stalled a little later in the same game (same place mostly too). This is also seen in Fish's Dytech play though. At this point I think the way he corrected the problem is the way to go - just scrap the high speed locos. Or at least just use them manually and be prepared to replace some trains as you smash into them!

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I belive this might be caused by pathfinding being to slow.
You see trains keep recalculating the path to their destination the whole time they travel. So if your locomotive moves to fast train might simply abandon the current pathfinding atempt and retun as no path has been found instead.

It might not be a bad idea to report this as a bug.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

That does sound like a likely theory.

Come to think of it, 1.2 being the top speed of the current trains might just be that weird number exactly because that's the speed at which they've determined the problem reliably doesn't occur :lol: But yeah, I'll report it as a bug just in case.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I was actually able to fix this issue by using Dytech's high speed cargo wagon, but decided not to use them(in my playthrough) because they have a lower capacity. For this reason I don't see it as a speed issue of the train, but maybe the normal cargo wagon can't go that fast?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

My 'getting around fast' train doesn't even have cargo wagons. I do have two locomotives back to back so it can go fast both ways. I actually haven't tested with just a single loc though, I'll give that a try.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

It's a very strange bug. :/

Return to “Modding help”