[SOLVED]Sprites and VRAM

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[SOLVED]Sprites and VRAM

Post by Staplergun »

How much of a hit would 83 more sprites cause on a low resolution setting? We're talking standard 1x1 grid size entities that follow similar proportions to the existing 1x1 sprites.

Is it worth me leaving out of a mod pack for compatibility on lower end systems?
Last edited by Staplergun on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Sprites and VRAM

Post by DaveMcW »

You can't run out of VRAM, the game will stop loading sprites when it gets full.

The side effect is you use more RAM and CPU to render the sprites that don't fit.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Staplergun »

So, basically, I'm not very privvy when it comes to knowledge of lower end systems being pitted against this game engine. The system I run on is top tier consumer grade. 8700k and a 1080ti with 32gb ram, so of course anything I throw at it works easily.

I'm just largely curious if I should be worried about adding 83 sprites to the game, and whether it will impact lower end systems specifically systems that use low res, since I don't have one to test on. I want to be user friendly to all ranges, not just people who throw a few grand at their PC.

I guess this would be more targeted to a dev.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

My laptop (2G VRAM, Nvidia 650M) runs pyanodon mod series on normal resolution ok so far (don't have a big base yet), but on high i get instant frame drops if i place certain buildings. Download his mods if you want to see exactly what he adds, but i know he adds a huge amount of giant multi-frame spritesheets.

So your 83 tiny things are a drop in the ocean. A single ground tile type would probably be bigger (because they have lots of variations).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Staplergun »

Thanks!

Good to know for future use!

Return to “Modding help”