Questions about directions and working visualisations

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Questions about directions and working visualisations

Post by Deadlock989 »

I'm trying to re-skin mining drills so there are multiple tiers.

With entities like furnaces that don't rotate, you can have a base animation and overlaid on top of that a working_visualisation. Simple, because there's only one direction. For things like assembling machines, it's more complicated because of pipe connections, but essentially there's still only one underlying machine (changing direction doesn't change the machine, just the direction the fluid box points).

I've hit a problem with mining drills because they have four directions and four separate base animations. I've tried every variation I can think of but I can't make them have a working_visualisation as well. I want this because I'd like some elements of the animation to "switch off" when the drill stops working - flashing lights, fire glow etc. - but for the rest of the animation to remain in the frame.

There are some things like oil refineries that do rotate and also have a working_visualisation, but the w_v is the same in all four directions and only its position moves - this is defined by north_position, east_position etc. There seems to be only one entity in data.raw that does the kind of thing I want to do: chemical plants. They have the same base animation structure as mining drills:

Code: Select all

animation = {
    east = {
        layers = { ... }
    },
    north = {
        layers = { ... }
    } ...
}
but they also have a working_visualisation unlike any other in the game, in that it defines north_animation, east_animation, etc. But when I try and apply this same structure to mining drills, the working_visualisation seems to be ignored completely.

Two questions:

1. Am I understanding all of this correctly?
2. What controls whether or not an entity renders a working_visualisation - is it just hardcoded? Or will any entity with one defined try and render it?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Questions about directions and working visualisations

Post by posila »

Hi, currently only crafting machines (that is prototypes of type assembling-machine or furnace) have working_visualization. Mining drills don't have them. These things are hardcoded.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Questions about directions and working visualisations

Post by Deadlock989 »

Thanks for the response. I suspected as much. It would be nice to have it for mining drills but it's not very important.

Return to “Modding help”