Noob question - graphics modding

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Noob question - graphics modding

Post by ThirteenEra »

Hello there!

I am trying to change some of the default graphics/textures in factorio, and was wondering if someone could let me know how i could go around doing that.
I am horrible with programming, so i just really need to know what to do to make my "set" of altered default textures recognised as a mod by the game. There is no "code" changing involved, only textures/doodads/etc.

Oh, and also soundtrack.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: To clarify, i have found that the textures and graphics are stored inside the Factorio folder, however i assume that if i were to simply replace them with my own, it would just get overwritten again during the next update - and so i want to have a "mod" that will remain throughout the updates, and one that i can update/change/etc at my will.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Noob question - graphics modding

Post by DaveMcW »

Here is a sample texture mod: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5038

You can delete the parts you don't want and edit the parts you do.

ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThirteenEra »

Unfortunately that does not explain what i should do where. If i just replace some of his textures with mine, shouldnt i also change some code in some of the .lua or whatever?

Im an artist, i know how to draw, i dont know anything about coding, sorry >.<

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The configuration files are named .lua.

If you're afraid to open them I can't help you.

ThirteenEra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThirteenEra »

I wasnt afraid of opening them. Then i opened one.

I am afraid now.

Like i said, i know nothing about programming, i just want a way to make my texture changes into a "mod" thing :(

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

For-home-use-only graphic mod can be done by simply editing standard pictures or replacing them with new ones, provided the new animation steps\orientations fragments have the same position inside the picture.

If you want to do things properly, you make mod and in it's "prototypes" folder you place .lua file with lines similar to these:

Code: Select all

data.raw["electric-turret"]["laser-turret"].prepared_animation.filename = "__DyTech-Warfare__/graphics/entity/laser-turrets/laser-turret-ruby.png"
or more generally

data.raw["entity_type"]["entity_name"].field_name.sub_field_name =value
for every entity which image you've changed.

To find out which field_names you need to modify with your mod, you search for ".png" in files inside data\base\prototypes\entity. Most of the time it'll be inside block like this

field_name= {
filename = "path_to_file/some_file.png"
}
You may also see other subfields inside such block which govern how your tile is drawn. Their names are fairly descriptive.

Sounds are stored in .ogg files, you may also find relevant fields in vanilla files and modify them with your mod.

Also, have a look at this https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... g_Tutorial
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

Return to “Modding help”