Allowed to use code from other mods???

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Allowed to use code from other mods???

Post by MalContentFL »

I'm thinking about trying to mod, but I wanted to know if I can use code from other mods. Maybe the authors wouldn't like it, but I'd ask first.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allowed to use code from other mods???

Post by FreeER »

It's definitely best to ask the author first if you want to use any of their code...

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

Simply send a PM to the author, they'll most likely allow you to use their code if you credit them accordingly. (I would)

Using other people's work without asking permission first is a mistake I've seen too many times. It usually results in bad times for everyone.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It is definitely no question, that the author must be asked.

But for the case, that there is no answer, even trying hard and waiting two weeks:

There is nothing against putting the code on the left side of screen and rewrite the code to the right side, if it is not just copy/paste, but a bit improving. Some code of the Linux kernel is written like so.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

All posted mods should really be required to include a license so the community knows where it stands when a mod is abandoned.

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

ssilk wrote:There is nothing against putting the code on the left side of screen and rewrite the code to the right side, if it is not just copy/paste, but a bit improving. Some code of the Linux kernel is written like so.
I doubt it. Unless the original code is GPL compatible.

By manually copying proprietary code (and maybe changing a variable name or wrapping around some if constructs), it does not suddenly become free software, and most serious free software developers are well aware of that, including the kernel hackers. What you are describing is against the law in most countries, so the kernel developers surely wouldn't risk to do that. May I ask, which part of the kernel was supposedly copied like that?

I've heard of cases where two people were required to create free software that offers interoperability with some proprietary product. The first guy studied the proprietary product / code and created a specification of the interface that is required for interoperability. The second guy took that specification (and to be clear, was not allowed to take a single look at the original proprietary code!) and created the free software component according to that specification. This is called "clean room implementation", and Wikipedia has some more info about it (apparently not only useful for free software): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design It also notes that this can't help against software patents, and most factorio mods and factorio itself probably conflict with software patents, so we're lucky the Czech Republic is not part of the US or other software patent states. (*mumbles about TTIP*)

Anyway, back to topic: Unless the mod author grants you a license to use, modify and redistribute the modified versions of their code/assets, you can't build upon their mod. You can't even redistribute the original mod (e.g. offer it for download from your web page or attach it to a forum post). Since the mod is available for download, it's obviously okay to download it and use it for your own gaming. If you modify it, you can also use the modified mod. But you can't give it away to others, either in original or modified form.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I've sincerally never understood why would anyone care about copyright in modding. Every work but one I've done in modding was released at WTFPL (http://www.wtfpl.net/) or MIT, and I've even never cared if people stole it (since it's not possible to stole mods code IMO but ok), and I've event got happy once when a guy used my code to build a mod better than mine.

Return to “Modding help”