Help Creating Rocket Firing Turret

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
LethargicChii
Inserter
Inserter

Help Creating Rocket Firing Turret

Post by LethargicChii »

Hello modding community! I have never created a mod before, but, I am about to try! I was wondering if someone might help me out with this.

Idea: I'd like to create a turret that fires Rocket, Explosive Rocket, and MAYBE Atomic Bomb (Because why not? *It can even give a game message that says: !WARNING! You have placed nuclear missile(s) into an automatic turret: User Death and/or Equipment damage may occur. !WARNING!)

The idea is to keep it balanced, minus the Atomic Bomb part, as that's probably not going to be balanced no matter what. I realize that rockets hone in and can fire too close and damage/destroy the turret. My idea was to set the turret radius much like the flame turret and give them substantial resistance to explosives to help mitigate self harm or destruction of other rocket turrets. I don't want them to replace laser turrets much like laser turrets replace gun turrets. I want them to work alongside laser turrets or be equivalent in choice so that the player can choose either or to produce and use and still be happy.

Resupply: This brings along the issue of ammo resupply. I was thinking allowing them to request rockets from the logistics system, but, from the games I've played, it's just far easier to place 10 laser turrets in a line and call it good rather then link up belts, or place a ton of roboports to make a supply line for distant turrets. Another idea I had was to make a self replicating rocket... rocket turret variant. It sounds silly, so, naming suggestions welcome. This variant I'd like to be able to make it's own ammo if supplied with materials. This would give the player an idea to come up with some supply delivery system that's beneficial and not as much a pain as simply dumping gears / explosives off every 5 seconds. Maybe produce an item called "Rocket Pod" that costs the equivalent of 100 rockets and then set up a train stop to deliver these "pods" to the rockets, or a belt, or logi that will supply the turret with a full load. And/Or give the option of supplying it with a liquid instead to create the rockets. Main idea here is to give the player multiple options of supply so that it's not a pain and works with many different setups

Cost: I'd like to make them fairly expensive, but, possibly make a cheaper less effective variant that unlocks about the same time you unlock rockets. (Less radius, less range, lower fire rate, but, still effective enough to be worth while).

Goal: To make a balanced set of rocket firing turrets that REMAIN effective and USEFUL throughout the game stages with various supply options.

I'd love any help I can get, and anyone who wants to do sprites and animations for them please let me know, as I do not know how to do this. Otherwise I'm stuck for now with just recoloring the current turrets / using two images spliced together to make it look different lol...
EDIT: DONE!

And so here is version 0.0.3 with turrets that pretty much just fire rockets right now, none of the above awesome stuff mentioned. Side effect of ammo type set to rocket; They launch nukes... I don't recommend this.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Lethargi ... ket_turret

Many thanks to wodzu93. I studied his scattergun turrets to understand how turrets work and how to modify them. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/wodzu93/ ... gun_turret
My Mods:
Rocket Turret
Discussion Forum: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=47497

Ask me about blender! I don't know a lot, but, I can try and help.

LethargicChii
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Help Creating Rocket Firing Turret

Post by LethargicChii »

Please Refer to post: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=47497 To follow up on this Mod.
Attachments
rocket_turret_0.0.4.zip
Rocket Turret Version 0.0.4
(679.51 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
My Mods:
Rocket Turret
Discussion Forum: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=47497

Ask me about blender! I don't know a lot, but, I can try and help.

Return to “Modding help”