No such node (north)

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
JohnnyDeee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

No such node (north)

Post by JohnnyDeee »

[SOLVED: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34433#p215872]

I'm trying to create an entity with

Code: Select all

type = "inserter"
but somehow i get this error on startup and i can't find any documentation on the node (north) on this page https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... rm_picture

Here is my entities.lua
Open
And here is the error message i'm getting
Open
And last but not least, my log
Open
If anyone has any idea why this is happening, please tell me on this thread :)
Last edited by JohnnyDeee on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man can only be beaten in two ways: if he gives up, or he dies"

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: No such node (north)

Post by Nexela »

Could it be related to missing circuit connector definitions?

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

It means it's looking for a `north` property on one of the other properties in the prototype. Difficult to know which property exactly, as the error message doesn't currently state that information. I ran in to similar problem yesterday.

What is the value of `hand_base_picture` btw? It's very likely that if its value is a raw image (which would work for most of the hand pictures), it won't be valid as a sprite sheet (which is what the `platform_picture` expects by default). If the platform_picture doesn't get a sprite sheet, it will try looking for .north, .east, .south and .west properties instead, and that's probably where your error is coming from.

All of the vanilla inserters use a `sheet` property, but I know from experimentations that you can use north/east/south/west properties instead of a sheet. For reference, search for the "inserter" definitions in this data.raw dump and you'll see the different formats of the hand picture tables and the platform_picture table: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/auber ... r/data.raw
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

JohnnyDeee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnnyDeee »

aubergine18 wrote: What is the value of `hand_base_picture` btw? It's very likely that if its value is a raw image (which would work for most of the hand pictures), it won't be valid as a sprite sheet (which is what the `platform_picture` expects by default). If the platform_picture doesn't get a sprite sheet, it will try looking for .north, .east, .south and .west properties instead, and that's probably where your error is coming from.
Apparently trying to shorten my code by using

property = other property
doesn't work..

So i changed all the pictures and shadows to this

property = 
{
    filename = "",
    priority = "very-low",
    width = 0,
    height = 0
}
And that seems to work (dealing with other errors atm so i cant test it in game)

Thanks for your reply aubergine18

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

If you ever need empty image, best way I've found is to use "__core__/graphics/empty.png" which is 1x1 pixel transparent image.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

JohnnyDeee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnnyDeee »

aubergine18 wrote:If you ever need empty image, best way I've found is to use "__core__/graphics/empty.png" which is 1x1 pixel transparent image.
Thanks! That will be usefull :)

Return to “Modding help”