Technology Branch sniping-2 NOT showing

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Technology Branch sniping-2 NOT showing

Post by FreeER »

I'm working on a sniping mod and created some new research named sniping, sniper-damage-1, sniper-damage-2, sniper-speed-1, and sniper-speed-2. all of these worked. Next in anticipation of being told that there is not (currently) a way of increasing a weapon's range through research I created a new research called sniping-2. (and yes i created all the relevent items/recipes already) sniping-2 WOULD NOT show up in the research menu. at all. I was going through trying to see if I'd done something wrong but since i'd just copy/pasted sniping and changed the relevent values nothing was (and factorio didn't throw any errors either, it just acted as if it did not exist).

HOWEVER, I changed the name from sniping-2 to sniping2 and it works??? can someone explain why!!! I spent like an hour :evil: wondering WTF was going on and only changed the name as a last resort not expecting it to have any chance of actually fixing the problem.

It's not really an issue now 8-) since i can work around it but I AM curious as to why this happened :?:
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Technology Branch sniping-2 NOT showing

Post by ficolas »

I dont think the name was the problem, maybe you changed something but you didnt save it until you changed the name?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

I thought that as well so I closed the file and reopened it. It was there like i had it. If you like I can change it back and upload it so you can see for yourself :)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This might have something to do with the -2 at the end of the technology name, the game parses this as the "tier 2" technology and maybe it is confused when tere is no tier 1.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Thought of that as well and tried to change sniping to sniping-1 while leaving the second as sniping-2 but it STILL didn't work...

Sniping.zip
sniping mod both working and non-working
(89.09 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

btw I'm not sure exactly what "upgrade" = "true" does, i'd tried it in an attempt to get sniping-2 to work and just left it in there after changing it to sniping2 (as long as the name is sniping2 it works whether the upgrade line is included or not)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We need to explain it on the wiki sooner or later.

Upgrade means, that you don't see all the levels of the technology, for example rocket damage is upgrade with 5 levels, you see only the relevant upgrade in the gui, not all 5.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Maybe that was my issue (because I just tried sniping-2 without upgrade=true) but I'd have sworn that when I initially added upgrade it didn't show it even as an 'allows' on the preqs technology. Then again I'd been up for about 20 hours by then so...

IDK, anyways it worked fine when I removed upgrade now (and changed the name back) however since upgrade is actually pretty much what I want, I'll leave it there lol :)

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

edit: will there be an option (similar to upgrade) that actually hides the research until the first pre-reqirement is complete? (I just had a flash of having 20 mods installed and having to scroll through the technology page to find what I want to research :D )
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

I dont like much that idea, the green researchs (the available ones) are shown the firsts.
A good idea is a research tree, but that is hard
with mods

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Well after the first requirement was researched it would appear, so say for rockets once you researched electronics (since that is the first in the list) it would appear. This is similar to how a lot of tech trees work once you unlock one it shows the possible research underneath. Or have a field that specifies exactly which research is needed before it appears ex. "appear-after" = "flammables".

That or have tabs with common names like 'weapons' and 'production', then have a field like type saying which it is in the tech.json file.

This is all assuming that they haven't done much work on a tech tree yet and that one of these options would be quicker/easier to implement until they had the time to devote towards a proper tech tree.

I suppose once you had a tech tree you could use something like the afore mentioned "appear-after" to place mod items. But it seems like it would be difficult to place mod items on a visual tech tree if they had multiple pre-requirements unless you spent time on a dynamic tech tree that is created each time the game loads (or at least each time the game detects a change to the tech tree).

pretty much all of this is assumption on my part because I have practically no experience in programming. :D
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

I prefer the idea of the tabs, because I like to see ALL tge researchs, so I can see what I can do

Return to “Modding help”