Parentheses are troubling me

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
SpencerS145
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Parentheses are troubling me

Post by SpencerS145 »

Please, I swear, lua is so stupid sometimes... Iua just keeps telling me that the parentheses that contain my "modules.lua" (parentheses are from data:extend) are not being closed by the final parentheses. It just hates me. And I hate it. But I work with it. So yeah. Install and run. And please fix it for me... :cry:
(Yeah, It may look like a really stupid problem to you guys, but I use 1 pair of parentheses in the whole thing, and it contains the whole thing. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that it should be different. EVER.)
The problem is with: UltraDyTech/prototypes/item/modules.lua

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Parentheses are troubling me

Post by AlexPhoenix »

SpencerS145 wrote:Please, I swear, lua is so stupid sometimes... Iua just keeps telling me that the parentheses that contain my "modules.lua" (parentheses are from data:extend) are not being closed by the final parentheses. It just hates me. And I hate it. But I work with it. So yeah. Install and run. And please fix it for me... :cry:
(Yeah, It may look like a really stupid problem to you guys, but I use 1 pair of parentheses in the whole thing, and it contains the whole thing. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that it should be different. EVER.)
The problem is with: UltraDyTech/prototypes/item/modules.lua
on last line just remove }

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

I'm curious, what editor are you using?
If you do not already have a text editor that does syntax highlighting (for lua), GET ONE. Seriously it makes it much easier. and those tabs\spaces after '{' are not just there because it's what you are 'supposed to do', they actually help you see if you've forgotten a closing '}', and when scrolling through long files lets you easily see where each section starts and stops.
If you use a Windows OS then I highly recommend getting Notepad++ (and a plugin called TextFX tools). Oh and learn a bit about regular expressions...when it comes time to change a lot of stuff, regex can be (and usually is) much faster.

SpencerS145
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SpencerS145 »

This entire time I was using... Notepad... ._. Wow I'm an idiot.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

oh Notepad works...kind of. But it forces you to do literally everything yourself. A very good way to learn, but not exactly the best way to actually work :D

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Wow. This story is good. SCNR :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Modding help”