Fluids

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Fluids

Post by Dysoch »

Is it possible to add a new fluid? Like oil?

If so, how would i do that? ;)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluids

Post by ficolas »

Nope not yet

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Darnit, real shame. Have to figure out another way then.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Dysoch wrote:Darnit, real shame. Have to figure out another way then.
I was going to add oil to my mod some versions ago, and I have a way of doing it, but its quite messy, thats why I didnt add it, but like a week or so, I had an idea of adding plastics to my mod so im reconsidering making this.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Mmmm have some plans for plastic in the future aswell (far future, first dynamic researching (best way to call it))
Ill wait and see what you might come up with
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We want to add fluid manipulation into the game rather soon. Now we are preparing for the steam thing, but this will be on the list as one of the first things after that. Think like chemics where assembling machine (or other kind of machine) has connected pipes and can accept / produce fluids. We need to lay out how would the whole system work firsth though.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

slpwnd wrote:Now we are preparing for the steam thing, but this will be on the list as one of the first things after that.
Based on the fact that simulating steam is much similar to simulating water (fluid dynamics for both) I don't see the reason why not do both at the same time.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

lol, I guess this kind of steam was meant ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

And to hit another time on him :) : simulating gas is quite different from simulating fluids. Gas has 3 variables (volume, pressure, temperature) which change depending on the others, fluids only 2 (volume, temp).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Fluids dont have pressure?...

Why do the taps in your home give you water? Why does water go out of a hose?

Answer: pressure

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

So your hot water has more pressure than the cold?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

ssilk wrote:So your hot water has more pressure than the cold?
Hot water tends to ocuppy more volume than cold water, ice tends to ocuppy more volume than hot water tho.
So yea more pressure.

However the amount is small so is quite insignificant.
But what I was sayimg,is that if you have 1 pump, there is less pressure than if you have 5

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would say, depends on pump. In Factorio not.
And please reread:
simulating gas is quite different from simulating fluids. Gas has 3 variables (volume, pressure, temperature) which change depending on the others, fluids only 2 (volume, temp).
I meant - and thought it should be clear - when we want halfway correct simulation of gas, then when you change one variable, you need to recalculate two others. For example if you change pressure, then volume and temp changes too. With liquids this is not the case, when you change temp, nothing big changes. The change in volume is so small in that case, that it doesn't play any rule for an generator. When volume doesn't change much, the pressure keeps also very equal. This can be watched: Turn on your hot water in the bath! It doesn't explode. It's just hot. :)

[And yes, there are so many other cases, where hot water explodes, but not in this game. ;) - not qet :) ]

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Once I threw lithium in my wc and it went boom :3
xD nope
And yea sorry didnt read the part "wich changes depending of the others"

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

ssilk wrote:And to hit another time on him :) : simulating gas is quite different from simulating fluids. Gas has 3 variables (volume, pressure, temperature) which change depending on the others, fluids only 2 (volume, temp).
WRONG!
Liquid = Fluid
Gas = Fluid
Just two different aggregative states of fluids.

Presure of any fluid depends on the volume of fluid in some container, the volume (space) of container and the compression factor of a fluid.
Higher compression factor means that you can compress fluid more easily.
Liquids have quite low compression factor so it is sometimes omited from simplified equations. But still it plays and inportant role. Without compression factor you can not simulate Water hammer efect (sudden close of valve).
When you heat up any fluid the volume of the fluid increases (molecules expand). The volume increase depends on fluid expansion factor. Gases have much higher expansion factor therefore their volume increases more rapidly when being heated up.

If you heat up any liquid enough it will turn into gas. But when the liquid will turn into gas actually depends on current presure of the liquid. For instance:
Water boils (starts turning into gas) at 100 degrees Celsius if it is at normal athmospheric presure (aprox 1000 millibars) but it will boild up at higher temperatures when it is already under presure
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/boili ... d_926.html
That is why cooling systems in Automobils have specific presure valve on top of Radiator to make sure that presure of the water which is inside cooling system could become higher and therefore prevent water from boiling at 100 degrees Celsiuis which can be reached quite quickly if something goes wrong. And since water steam expands quite quickly it could easily lead to explosion of cars cooling system. So that Radiator presure cap makes sure that water won't boil to temperature of about 130 degres celsius. And if the colant water heats up more the excess presure is slowly being released.
As for your home tap water heaters:
Do note that the water presure in pipes is usually between 2 to 5 bars. At 2 bars of water presure water will start to boil at about 130 degrees Celsius and at about 150 degrees of celsius at 5 bars of water presure.

So if you wanna "hit" me again I suggest you do some more research next time before even trying :D

BTW The reason why I'm so familiar with Fluid dynamics is becouse I intent to make my own Fluid dynamics simulation some day and use it in one of my future games.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Impressed.
Well, indeed I mixed up fluid and liquid. A real translation-problem, because in German a "Flüssigkeit" can be translated into both. I deleted the translation app and use now dict.leo.org again.

And to finish that: yes, liquids can be used for making energy into work, but seriously gas makes that much better. ;)

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

Well I know most of the things you said there just because studies :)
(dont take me wrong im not trying to say that what you know is nothing)
Everything but the rates.

Return to “Modding help”