Events

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Events

Post by Dysoch »

Is it possible to add events to the power grid?

Like when close or at max capacity, that rolling blackouts start? Or power line malfunctions?
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Events

Post by ficolas »

You can check for entities energy in the ontick event.
And if you want custom events, I think you can add them and send them from other events.

The only events in the game are ontick oninit onload onsave onguitick onchunckgenerated onsectorscanned onplayerdeath onshiplanded and im not sure if there are more.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Ok, but is it possible to have a chance that something happens? Like 1% chance that a power line fails?
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Dysoch wrote:[...]rolling blackouts start? Or power line malfunctions?
Ok, but is it possible to have a chance that something happens? Like 1% chance that a power line fails?
Interesting :) Hm...in control.lua you could easily use if math.random(100) == 1 for a 1% chance or math.random(1000/entity.energy)==1 so that the more energy the more likely it is. However electric poles do not have energy so you'd have to measure the entities around them or the energy of generators/solar panels. I think you could take down the power line by changing active to false, but as for a rolling blackout I don't think there is (currently) a way to tell what entities a pole is connected to, so you'd have to use findentities or findfilteredentities and start small, increasing the area when the table is empty. Though even then it's not guaranteed that the poles are connected (since you can manually wire them), just more likely.
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Ill see what i can create, thx for the help
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ficolas wrote:You can check for entities energy in the ontick event.
And if you want custom events, I think you can add them and send them from other events.

The only events in the game are ontick oninit onload onsave onguitick onchunckgenerated onsectorscanned onplayerdeath onshiplanded and im not sure if there are more.
There is couple of more (onbuiltentity, onputitem, onplayermineditem, etc.) and we will be extending this interface as well (there is onplayercrafted coming soon for instance).

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

slpwnd wrote:
ficolas wrote:You can check for entities energy in the ontick event.

There is couple of more (onbuiltentity, onputitem, onplayermineditem, etc.) and we will be extending this interface as well (there is onplayercrafted coming soon for instance).
Playercrafted is good, need that for my dynamic research system i want to put in place in my mod.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

this is my control.lua:

Code: Select all

require "defines"
	glob.specieOfTreeTable={"rubber"}

if remote.interfaces["F-mod"] then
	remote.call("F-mod", "addboiler", "boiler-mk2")
	remote.call("F-mod", "addboiler", "boiler-mk3")
	remote.call("F-mod", "addboiler", "boiler-mk4")
	remote.call("F-mod", "addboiler", "boiler-mk5")
	end

game.onevent(defines.events.ontick, function(event)	

if event.tick%3600==0 then
		for _,specie in pairs (glob.specieOfTreeTable) do
			if glob[specie.."trees"]~=nil then
				for i,d in pairs(glob[specie.."trees"]) do
					if d.entity.valid then
						if math.random(5)==1 and d.entity.name==specie.."-tree" then
							d.entity.insert({name=specie.."-tree-resin",count=1})
						end
					else
						table.remove(glob[specie.."trees"],i)
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
end)
but the event isnt working (the one with the rubber tree)
what is wrong or missing?
is it because the rubber trees are added by the autoplace?

code is from f-mod (thx ficolas for your amazing codes!) (credits will be given at modpage when released!)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

From what you posted I can not see if you have a glob.rubbertrees to look through, with autoplace you'd need to use onchunkgenerated and add any of your trees to the table, if you didn't then the table is going to be empty when the code runs through it and so it won't do anything. Also you could always throw a game.player.print(serpent.block(glob[specie.."trees"])) into the for loop to see it.
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

FreeER wrote:From what you posted I can not see if you have a glob.rubbertrees to look through, with autoplace you'd need to use onchunkgenerated and add any of your trees to the table, if you didn't then the table is going to be empty when the code runs through it and so it won't do anything. Also you could always throw a game.player.print(serpent.block(glob[specie.."trees"])) into the for loop to see it.
I could be wrong, but if i use autoplace in the entity file, isnt that enough? The event i use should search for rubber-tree (is the entity name) and add the resin.

Thats what i think after looking thru all the files. But, still new to modding, so i could be wrong.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Dysoch wrote:if i use autoplace in the entity file, isnt that enough?
For this, no. You used

[...]
but, as far as I know, autoplace does not create a table for the entities. So the specie.."trees" (equating to glob["rubbertrees"]) will always be nil unless you create it yourself (and add the trees to it at some point, with autoplace the best way is with onchunkgenerated). If you check the f-mod's control.lua you'll see that Ficolas has done this as well (though he is using the onchunkgenerated to randomly create his trees instead of autoplace he still has to create the table and add the entity to it).
F-code snippet
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

FreeER wrote:F-code snippet
Another advantage using something similar instead of the autoplacer is that you can specify the force, so you probably can get rid off the red dots on map.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

What you can do to use autoplace is use onchunkgenerated to add the trees to a table, by looking for them in the chunk that has been generated, with findentitiesfiltered.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

game.onevent(defines.events.onchunkgenerated, function(event)
	if math.random(5)==1 then
		local specieOfTree=glob.specieOfTreeTable[math.random(#glob.specieOfTreeTable)]
		local treex = event.area.lefttop.x+math.random(32)
		local treey = event.area.lefttop.y+math.random(32)
		local typeoftree = math.random(3)

if glob[specieOfTree.."trees"]==nil then
			glob[specieOfTree.."trees"]={}
		end
		local createdentity=game.createentity( {name=(specieOfTree.."-tree"..typeoftree), position={treex,treey}} )
		table.insert(glob[specieOfTree.."trees"], {entity=createdentity} )
	end
end)
why is it when i use this, it looks for rubber-tree2? only rubber-tree exists, not 1,2 or 3.
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Well because you programmed it like that :D

You used:

game.createentity( {name=(specieOfTree.."-tree"..typeoftree), position={treex,treey}} )
where typeoftree is a random number between 1-3

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

Ok they generate now, resin is produced every once in a while, but still the red dots. How can i change or imply the force of the entity?

using the berry's build by f-mod to grow more trees, as people like to automate the process of rubber making (i think :P )
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

game.onevent(defines.events.ontick, function(event)	

if event.tick%3600==0 then
		for _,specie in pairs (glob.specieOfTreeTable) do
					if d.entity.valid then
						end
					else
						table.remove(glob[specie.."trees"],i)
					end
				end
			end
		end
	end
	if string.find(event.createdentity.name,"-resin")~=nil then						--[[Berries build]]--
		specie = string.gsub(event.createdentity.name, '%-resin', '')       (THINK ERROR IS HERE!)
		if glob[specie.."trees"]==nil then
			glob[specie.."trees"]={}
		end
		table.insert(glob[specie.."trees"], {entity=game.createentity({name=specie.."-tree", position=event.createdentity.position}), time=0})
		event.createdentity.destroy()
	end
end)
if you take a look at the berries build. it gives an error when starting a new game: attempted to index field 'createdentity' (a nil value)
all i did was remove the small tree builds, changed berry to resin and added resin as an entity. think it should work.

but anyway, already thanks all, still learning events, but im slowly getting there :P

EDIT:
Question 2: this should work, but from what i see, works with the more power, the more chance. but is that full network power usage, or at or near max power production per entity?

if glob.steamengines~=nil and math.random(1000/entity.energy)==1 then										--[[Power failure steam engines]]--
		for i,_ in pairs(glob.steamengines) do
			if foundsteamengines==true then
				if glob.steamengines[i].entity.valid then
						glob.steamengines[i].entity.die()
						game.getplayer().print("Your steam engine was destroyed because it was working at or near max capacity. Get more power generation to lessen the chance of breakdown!")
				end
			end
		end
	end
	if glob.solarpanels~=nil and math.random(1000/entity.energy)==1 then										--[[Power failure solar panels]]--
		for i,_ in pairs(glob.solarpanels) do
			if foundsolarpanels==true then
				if glob.solarpanels[i].entity.valid then
						glob.solarpanels[i].entity.die()
						game.getplayer().print("Your solar panel was destroyed because it was working at or near max capacity. Get more power generation to lessen the chance of breakdown!")
				end
			end
		end
	end
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

after a few tries, and looking throu the wiki, i got the red dots to dissapear. used force=game.forces.neutral to correct it.

but still need help with the resin builds and the events with the power. (post above!)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

First the d.entity.name is not needed here

--ontick code
because each table is only for that specific tree, if you were using a single table for all of your trees then you'd want to check the name...
as for

Unless you have a different resin for each tree then the name should probably be "tree-resin", but since I can't see the full mod I don't know for sure :)

Now the "attempted to index field 'createdentity' (a nil value)" is because createdentity is not a table that is provided by ontick, it's provided by onbuiltentity. From the looks of it that's where this code was meant to be so all you need to do is end ontick and start onbuiltentity with

game.onevent(defines.events.onbuiltentity, function(event)
Looking at the code for it though I'm confused as to why you are looking for a -resin entity being built instead of a tree...I'd have expected to see you finding built trees and adding them to the proper table here, not resin trees that you immediately replace with trees. From my understanding the resin is an item that is being inserted into the tree (container) so it will never be 'built'. With that you'd want either

for _, specie in pairs(glob.specieOfTreeTable) do
  if event.name==specie then
      glob[specie.."trees"]={}
    end
    table.insert(glob[specie.."trees"], {entity=createdentity})
    break
  end
end--note I used entity= in the table.insert because in the for loop in ontick you used d.entity (if you used just d then you could just insert the createdentity)
or

if event.name:sub(-5)=="-tree" then --sub(-5) simply takes the last five characters of the string, so this assumes all your trees end with "-tree"
    glob[specie.."trees"]={}
  end
  table.insert(glob[specie.."trees"], {entity=createdentity})
end
These should both do the same, just slightly different ways of seeing if the entity is one of your trees. To be honest, the second may be easier since I'm not sure if the specieOfTreeTable index names will be the same as that of the trees. Again, these assume that you are adding the built tree entities to their tables rather than the original code that seems to be immediately replacing any -resin entities with tree entities and adding those to the tables

edit: as to the power solarpanel.energy seems to be the energy given per tick = 0 when night (no output), however the steam engines seem to give 9.0666666666667 when they are not doing anything (perhaps that would be the available peformace??). I'll try to research it a bit more, but I'm not certain I'll be able to understand what I find lol

edit2: steamengine.energy seems to be about 9 when connected but not used, 0 when not connected to anything and 0 when at max output??
solarpanel also seems to be 0 when in full use and goes to 1.06666666666667 when connected but nothing is drawing power. So I'm going to guess that highest use is as energy approaches 0...Thus I think the formula you'd want to use is more along the lines of math.floor(math.random(10*entity.energy+1))==2 (should give 10% chance of failure at nearly full usage, unfortunately if i checked things right then full use would appear the same as disconnected. just change the 10 at the front to make it higher or lower chance) the plus one is so that you don't pass a range of 0 to math.random and you need to check for 2 because of that addition (since 0 could be a disconnected entity, you don't want to get math.random(0+1)==1)
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- Wiki Modding Guide

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

if glob.steamengine~=nil and math.floor(math.random(5*entity.energy+1))==2 then											--[[Power failure steam engines]]--
		for i,_ in pairs(glob.steamengine) do
			if foundsteamengine==true then
				if glob.steamengine[i].entity.valid then
						glob.steamengine[i].entity.die()
						game.getplayer().print("Your steam engine was destroyed because it was working at or near max capacity. Get more power generation to lessen the chance of breakdown!")
				end
			end
		end
	end
	if glob.solarpanel~=nil and math.floor(math.random(5*entity.energy+1))==2 then												--[[Power failure solar panels]]--
		for i,_ in pairs(glob.solarpanel) do
			if foundsolarpanel==true then
				if glob.solarpanel[i].entity.valid then
						glob.solarpanel[i].entity.die()
						game.getplayer().print("Your solar panel was destroyed because it was working at or near max capacity. Get more power generation to lessen the chance of breakdown!")
				end
			end
		end
	end
Already changed to math, but they code itself doesnt appear to work, the engine or panels wont get destroyed when running near max capacity!
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

Return to “Modding help”