NARMod License?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

NARMod License?

Post by Blu3wolf »

damienreave wrote:Updated Link to 3.4: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ppafd ... _0.3.4.zip

-----

NARMod is a mod for Factorio that aims to be a standalone mod to create a great Factorio experience for the experienced player.
Its target audience is those players who feel they have fully experienced vanilla Factorio and are craving to have the challenge and complexity of the game increased from the building/crafting side.
NARMod is enormously complex... probably roughly a three or four-fold increase in complexity from the vanilla experience.
It is not for everyone.
NARMod is a mod that changes the contruction and crafting aspects of the game only. Enemies and combat are not altered in any way.
NARMod is unlikely to be compatable with other mods, except perhaps ones that only affect combat / enemies.

NARMod borrows content in some form or another from the following mod creators:
Bobbingabout, author of Bob's Mods
ficolas, author of F-mod
drs9999, author of Treefarm
Dysoch, author of Dytech

All credit to my fellow modders

Here's a picture tutorial on some parts of what NARMod entails: http://imgur.com/a/T8MYj
So, Ive been playing NARMod studiously with a friend in multiplayer for a while now. I decided I wanted to play it in version 0.12, so I have been working on getting it to work in factorio 0.12.

I was going to make a thread in the unofficial patches forum, but I have come across a bit of a licensing issue, and thought perhaps I should hold off first.

Namely, that NARMod is a derivative of Bob's Mods, F-Mod, Treefarm, and Dytech. And F-Mod is the only one of those mods which permits derivatives. Bobbingabout stated that for mods based on Bob's Mods, they should list it as a dependency and make the changes in the mod itself.

NARMod is a standalone comprehensive overhaul which is strongly based on the work of the derivative mods. I have a version 12 update for it, but Im pretty sure that I cant release it, under the terms of Treefarm and Dytech's, and effectively Bob's MOds, CC license agreements.

Thoughts?

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: NARMod License?

Post by jorgenRe »

F_mod you can use and possibly bobs mods too if you ask Bobingabout nicely ;)!
but dytech and Tree Farm on the other hand may require you to ask if you can use parts of their mod as an exception to their licence. But honestly as long as you ask kindly I'm sure they will allow it ;)
PS dytech im Not sure it said you could sometimes redistribute, but other times not as long as you did it for NO PROFIT/COMMERCIAL!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

jorgenRe wrote:F_mod you can use and possibly bobs mods too if you ask Bobingabout nicely ;)!
but dytech and Tree Farm on the other hand may require you to ask if you can use parts of their mod as an exception to their licence. But honestly as long as you ask kindly I'm sure they will allow it ;)
PS dytech im Not sure it said you could sometimes redistribute, but other times not as long as you did it for NO PROFIT/COMMERCIAL!
Its kind of an awkward position really, because it would be an unofficial patch to NARMod, so I cannot ask Dysoch, Bobingabout, Kajanor and drs9999 for permission to use their work in MY mod. NARMod isnt mine.

Its further awkward by the fact that its not immediately apparently whether NARMod was originally conceived with the blessing of the mod authors it sources from. Technically they cannot give their permission - their licenses forbid that - but they can at least give their blessing, though I worry that perhaps they were not asked...

regarding your postscript, Dytech is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Public License. That means that if you make any changes to the work, you may not distribute it. There is no provision in the license for special exemptions to be granted via written/verbal permission, so while Dysoch could give his/her* blessing to derivative work, they could not offer any kind of permission that would protect you from prosecution in the event that you made a derivative work.

*Apologies to Dysoch for not knowing which is correct!

Commentary on this is welcomed.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Yea that's true, but you should know that originally the parts of mods that are not using any Lua code is actually just modified Factorio files(unless they are using custom made graphics) so that's why they can't really sue you for doing what you do and honestly if your narmod update is just an update to the original narmod then just put it up for download because nobody are going to get angry at you for making people what they want ;)!
Because I saw the topic had 16 pages so it wouldn't surprise me that all original authors are already aware of that mod. And seeing as it was still there, they was all fine with it ;)!

but of course if you want to really be on the safe side just ask dytech, Bob and Tree Farm authors. The chance for someone saying no is incredibly low.
Logo

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Well, custom graphics are being used. Lua code is also being used.

I wonder if it would be feasible to remove all the ND code and list them as hard dependencies. Im not sure to what extent its possible to modify prototypes loaded by other mods?

Certainly would not be as easy as putting the as is copy on the forums, in the unofficial section.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Ok the only lua code is from Tree Farm and honestly just put it up as an unofficial patch, but just ask the original authors or should i do it for you?
Because as said i highly doubt someone is against doing what you want to do ;)!
Logo

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Well, I sent a PM asking permission. fingers crossed.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Blu3wolf wrote:Well, I sent a PM asking permission. fingers crossed.
Good :)!
Logo

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

I don't think they will mind, just as long as you post a link back to those mod creators and their mods
and give them credit for their work.
I don't think they would mind you posting an unofficial update, because the mod creator is on some long hiatus somewhere.
and I believe almost all mod devs know about NARMod since its so famous by now.

Also F-Mod creator has mentioned that he abandoned his mod. and no longer updating it. (just a little FYI :D )
Ive been trying to create a "Unofficial" update of F-Mod as well along with (AlphaMod) too. but the code callback error has me pulling my hair.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Cooolaid wrote:Also F-Mod creator has mentioned that he abandoned his mod. and no longer updating it. (just a little FYI :D )
Ive been trying to create a "Unofficial" update of F-Mod as well along with (AlphaMod) too. but the code callback error has me pulling my hair.
Well, F-Mod was released under a CC-BY-NC license - which means that however you modify the work, you must still credit the original creator of that work, and that it cannot be used in a commercial work. That means you do not need permission to make modifications and distribute those modifications, unless you intend to make the modifications a commercial work.

what error are you having trouble with? Im having enough of my own that Im considering making a thread to ask for help with some of them.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Blu3wolf wrote: what error are you having trouble with? Im having enough of my own that Im considering making a thread to ask for help with some of them.
Lmao - ready for this?
This is the F-Mod error....lol - Image
the confusion on my face is priceless. o.O

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Interesting. I didnt know F-mod added another player entity.

does the robot use the same animation as the player? If so, you could just copy the same section from the base mod in 0.12 I believe.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

This is a closed spoiler

Im going to change the direction count from 5 to 18 and include the shift count from base game into Shift count into the mod.
see what happens. o.O

UPDATE: 5 minutes later \o/ that part is fixed.
but then this happens....lol

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Id prefer not to use this thread for bugfixes.

For that I would suggest adding a width value to the holes resource. Compare the resource with vanilla resources in the base mod and see what is different.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

yup good idea ;)
pretty soon the police will be swinging his baton around.. :P

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Well I have had the permission I sought, to distribute anothers mod content in a modified format, denied by one mod author so far. Which is fair enough really, it is their prerogative.

What this means is that for me to distribute a factorio v0.12 compatible NARMod, I would need to first strip out the code from other mods with an incompatible license, and make NARmod dependent on them instead.

As I was kind of expecting a negative response anyway, I had already started trying to strip out the Treefarm code and assets, to see if I could. So far it is working reasonably well, although I started on treefarm as it seemed the less complicated mod to add as a dependency.

The license for F-mod content permits its assets and data to be included, so long as credit and a link to their license (CC-BY-NC) is given. Bob's Mods and Dytech do not though, and I dont yet know which content comes from which mod originally. Treefarm is probably about half done removing its stuff, but I did start with what was probably the easier one.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Blu3wolf wrote:
Well I have had the permission I sought, to distribute anothers mod content in a modified format, denied by one mod author so far. Which is fair enough really, it is their prerogative.

What this means is that for me to distribute a factorio v0.12 compatible NARMod, I would need to first strip out the code from other mods with an incompatible license, and make NARmod dependent on them instead.

As I was kind of expecting a negative response anyway, I had already started trying to strip out the Treefarm code and assets, to see if I could. So far it is working reasonably well, although I started on treefarm as it seemed the less complicated mod to add as a dependency.

The license for F-mod content permits its assets and data to be included, so long as credit and a link to their license (CC-BY-NC) is given. Bob's Mods and Dytech do not though, and I dont yet know which content comes from which mod originally. Treefarm is probably about half done removing its stuff, but I did start with what was probably the easier one.

This is a shame, because I recoded and fixed some parts that was throwing errors.
I now have a FULL Working NARMod for Factorio v12.3 :lol: (and yes it works flawlessly with over 37+ other mods now.) :D

me and Blu3wolf have been chopping at this mod in both directions. (Blu3wolf doing most of the heavy lifting.) ;)
its a shame that stripping of code now has to happen, in order to share this mod. :? :roll:

now if only there was a youtube video showing me how to edit Github files because i dont know how :roll:

Return to “Modding help”