Trying to check type of energy_interface

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Trying to check type of energy_interface

Post by protocol_1903 »

I'm trying to run the following code to check if a machine uses electricity, then change it to burner once that is done. It loads into Factorio but for whatever reason it isn't working. It is probably something wrong with the syntax, I'm new to LUA. I think its something with how I'm checking the source type.

Code: Select all

for _, machine in pairs(data.raw) do
  if machine.energy_source ~= nil then
    if machine.energy_source.type == "electric" then
      machine.energy_source = {
        type = "burner",
        effectivity = 0.5,
        fuel_inventory_size = 1
      }
    end
  end
end

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trying to check type of energy_interface

Post by Pi-C »

protocol_1903 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:09 am
I'm trying to run the following code to check if a machine uses electricity, then change it to burner once that is done. It loads into Factorio but for whatever reason it isn't working. It is probably something wrong with the syntax, I'm new to LUA. I think its something with how I'm checking the source type.
Your syntax is OK, but your data isn't.

for _, machine in pairs(data.raw) do
	…
end
You don't want to check everything below data.raw, but only the prototypes of the type "assembling-machine". This should work:

for _, machine in pairs(data.raw["assembling-machine"]) do
	…
end
By the way, I've always found it helpful for debugging to log the value of the loop variables. This would have shown you that you'd tried to operate on the list of prototype names, not the prototypes themselves.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

You don't want to check everything below data.raw, but only the prototypes of the type "assembling-machine".
I want to change every entity possible, not just every assembling machine.
By the way, I've always found it helpful for debugging to log the value of the loop variables. This would have shown you that you'd tried to operate on the list of prototype names, not the prototypes themselves.
How do you do that, and where do you access the log?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

protocol_1903 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:22 pm
You don't want to check everything below data.raw, but only the prototypes of the type "assembling-machine".
I want to change every entity possible, not just every assembling machine.
This should do the trick:

for t, types in pairs(data.raw) do
	for p, prototype in pairs(types) do
		log(string.format("p: %s\tprototype.type: %s\tprototype.energy_source: %s", p, p.type, serpent.line(prototype.energy_source)))	
		if prototype.energy_source and prototype.energy_source.type == "electric" then
			prototype.energy_source = {
				type = "burner",
			        effectivity = 0.5,
			        fuel_inventory_size = 1
			}
		end
	end
end
How do you do that, and where do you access the log?
I've added a logging instruction above. In case you wonder why I've logged just "prototype.type" instead of "prototype": prototype definitions may be huge, and if you loop over all entities in data.raw, the log file will grow so big that it is rather hard to read and, therefore, useless.

I'm using the stand-alone version of Factorio. There, the log file is factorio-current.log in the folder where I've unpacked the game. You can find more detailed info if you check the wiki for Application directory.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

protocol_1903
Inserter
Inserter

Post by protocol_1903 »

Sorry for the late reply, but your advice worked! Thanks for the help! I used this to develop the Powerless mod.

Return to “Modding help”