Examples of exceptionally well-coded mods?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
hoylemd
Inserter
Inserter

Examples of exceptionally well-coded mods?

Post by hoylemd »

Hey folks,

I've been wanting to get more into modding lately, and I learn best by analyzing examples, so I'm looking for some examples of especially well-implemented mods that I can learn best practices and higher-level design from - I already know basic lua and programming, I really just need examples to dig into and play around with to get me up to speed.

UI-heavy mods would be especially helpful, as that's where my current interests lie, but anything you consider to be a good example of modding code would be hepful. I'm aware that can be subjective, but that's why I'm asking here instead of trying to determine that on my own. Your opinion is what I'm looking for, not objective truth.

(alternatively, if you work on a mod and have some good small tasks for a modding newbie with pretty good general programming skills, those would also be welcome as excercises :D)

Thanks!

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Examples of exceptionally well-coded mods?

Post by Stringweasel »

Raiguard most likely makes the best and most performant UI mods. It looks sleek, it's easy to use, and super optimized. Note: they mosly use the flib library, which is also written by raiguard.

So things like Recipe Book, Rate Calculator etc.

Definitly a good place to start.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

There's also this tutorial to get you started on the basics:
https://github.com/ClaudeMetz/UntitledGuiGuide
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

hoylemd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by hoylemd »

Thanks, I'll check that out.

It's ironic you're recommending Raiguard's mods, actually. I wanted to contribute to one of them and was asking about it on github but they said they wanted to completely refactor them. Makes sense though - the better a software engineer is, the more likely they won't be satisfied with their past work, even if it's already above-average!

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Raiguard is known rewrite their mods every now and again. Or even rewrite other peoples mods :P

Return to “Modding help”