Possible to print localised_strings to headless server console?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Possible to print localised_strings to headless server console?

Post by credomane »

I've been using the "print()" function to print to the server console (stdout) which works. Now I'm trying to print custom death messages and running into an issue.

Let's say I want to print "Credomane has died to a Small biter." when I die to a, well, small biter. So what I naively tried to do was

Code: Select all

script.on_event(defines.events.on_player_died, function(event)
	local p = game.players[event.player_index];
	local c = event.cause
	if not c then
		print("**" .. p.name .. "** died.");
	else
		print({"", "**" .. p.name .. "** died to a " , c.localised_name, "."});
	end
end)
Instead of the expected message I get "table" printed to stdout. Seems that the print() function doesn't handle localised_strings? I know game.print() does and so does every other method I know of but I need it in the headless console without printing it to players. The only method I know of for printing to stdout is "print()". "log()" from what read does handle localised_strings but it outputs to factoro-current.log and not stdout.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Possible to print localised_strings to headless server console?

Post by credomane »

....Of course. Every...single...time. I search and search and search. Come up empty handed. I post my question and immediately find the answer.
localised_print() allows printing LocalisedString to stdout without polluting the Factorio log file. This is primarily useful when communicating with external tools that launch Factorio as a child process.

Return to “Modding help”