Suggestions or is it possible yet?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
midnight109
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Suggestions or is it possible yet?

Post by midnight109 »

Well, leave it to me to always try to bite of a elephant.
I was looking around some old projects for other games, and ran into one of my old mmorpg i was working on for a few years, and thought this would be good here..... now how to do it <.<
The general idea, is a set of research projects and construction projects to finialize a epic project. The layout for the first part I was thinking of is this.
It includes several research projects to get started, and then stops, till a new building is constructed, allowing more research twoards the next part of the building.
The idea is that this project is to big to just 'build' so has to be built in sections each section requires the other sections within a certain radius to work. This project would be a true solar concentrator reflective tower power station.
Total of 9 "Peices". 1 Tower, and 8 Reflective panels pointing at the tower.
My idea was to keep it similar to how the original idea was, and when you "start" the project, it places a...... construction zone area closing off the area, so you know you have enough space on all sides to fit the other peices, as you bring in more resources, say the next phase needs 1k iron plates, after you bring in 1k iron plates, it checks if the research is done for the next phase, then replaces the entity with a new one, showing more completion, right clicking or opening the building or zones info shows the storage for the next phase, and whats needed. In this game I was thinking of using it for other then power. The original idea was a dual system and I think would work in this as well. It generats power during the day, and also has a lot of heat to get rid of, so it also can use that heat to smelt ores during the day in large amounts quickly from the high temps at the tower. During the night, it shuts off from no sun, no power, no smelting, just idle like the solar panels shut off after the day.
Not sure how to work it in here as the entiy would be both a solar power and a smelter, and even if could only do one part, say build the solar part then a module next to it for smelting but has to be within so much distance from the solar tower to function, the farthur away the lower its speed as the lower temps.
What do you all think? Doable or not, and should I work on something like this or wait till the layout is more set in place to make it work better?

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Suggestions or is it possible yet?

Post by drs9999 »

Quite nice idea you had there.
I guess it is doable (with some limitations).

I would do/try the following:
1) Research "badass powerplant" enables a construction-area-I entity
2) The contruction-area entities are containers
3) check every now and then if the inventory contains X ironplates ( + Y electronic-circuits + ...) (with a script)
4) if yes then destroy contruction-area-Iand create contruction-area-II at the same position ( with a slightly different image that shows the progression)
5) repeat 3 and 4 until building is finished
6) remove the last construnction-area entity and replace it with the final powerplant entity ( that is a solar-type one)

That is it for the powerplant, as far as I know it is not possible to combine two different entity types, but a workaround could be to create electric-furnace entities which are next to the plant in step 6 as well (+ a pole that connects both). Downside here is that the furnaces can be feed from the "outside" energy network in the night. But I think there was a getenergy() function. So you can check if the solar-plant produce energy, if yes then set the furnaces to active otherwise to false. Another point is to set the furnaces to not mineable, so you can not remove them individually, but they are destroyed if you remove the whole power-plant.

P.S.: Of course you can add a "was research XY-researched"-request in step 3, too

midnight109
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Suggestions or is it possible yet?

Post by midnight109 »

I will play with some ideas, but seems might be a hold till later option, seems the engine limits alot of variables and havent found a workaround to them yet :\
I was working on a new power pole/substation that could supply a large area, like a factory center, but that also consumed power itself to operate the underground lines for line loss, but if the coverage area is larger then the current substation+1 it crashes :/ so I guess they have hard coded in limits to everything related to the project
The idea was to use this new substation to cover say almost a area that would power factorys and inserters on its own while adding to the energy requirments for each peice connected but as soon as you set supply_area_distance = anything above 8 crashes on launch :( oh well would def need more freedom for some of the project areas im working on so work on smaller stuff i guess

Return to “Modding help”