Beginner Modder...

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
that_1_nerd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Beginner Modder...

Post by that_1_nerd »

Hey Yall, first time on here. I have gone through the first modding tutorial and have looked at the modding resources pined at the top of this form. As a beginner, I want some more examples of "simple" mods that explore some basic functionalities, common practices, and other features that you feel are needed to make great mods!

If this is not the right place for this, then sorry!

Thanks in advance!

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Beginner Modder...

Post by Stringweasel »

Best is to look on the mod portal for something similar to what you want to do, and look at how it's implemented. That's how most of the modders started. If you have specific questions you can of course also ask here, or on the #mod-making channel on the official Discord.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

that_1_nerd wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:43 pm
As a beginner, I want some more examples of "simple" mods that explore some basic functionalities, common practices, and other features that you feel are needed to make great mods!
Sounds like this tutorial would be perfect for you: https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Insp ... a_live_mod It demonstrates some common principles based on a real mod that someone made. It has a lot more explanations comments than your typical mod would have and covers a lot of common modding techniques.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

that_1_nerd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by that_1_nerd »

Thanks for all the information! I have been looking at the Tutorial:Inspecting a live mod, it has been very useful. I do wonder though, how does someone make a library for an extension for 3rd party mods? Or is this a pattern that should be avoided and should I just use a really big data-final-fixes.lua? I feel like for extensibility, going down the data-final-fixes.lua route isn't the best...
Thanks!!!!
Trains make or break a man!

Return to “Modding help”