[Solved] Artillery Projectile Created Event

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Ratte
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Solved] Artillery Projectile Created Event

Post by Ratte »

The Problem:
I want to try and mod artillery-projectile behavior, like spawning effects below it or colliding with defensive enemy entities on the way.
For this, I need an event listener on artillery projectile creation, to keep track of all currently flying artillery projectiles.

My Journey:
I've read through all events available, where I found: on_trigger_fired_artillery which seems like what I want, getting a event every time a shell is fired, but just registering a listener in control.lua doesn't work, can I make the vanilla artillery give me these events? If yes how?
I know I should probably add trigger_fired_artillery=true somewhere in my data.raw[ artillery-projectile? artillery-turret? projectile? ], but I don't know where.

Resources I found already:
Here is the doc for on_trigger_fired_artillery: https://lua-api.factorio.com/1.1.59/eve ... _artillery
And here is an old thread I found, which feels related, I think it's telling me to change the artillery turret somewhere, but I don't understand how exactly: Factorio Forums: Entity Creation not detected
And here are three Prototypes I think are useful, but I don't know:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/ArtilleryTurret
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/ArtilleryProjectile
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Projectile
Last edited by Ratte on Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Artillery Projectile Created Event

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ratte wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:15 pm
where I found: on_trigger_fired_artillery which seems like what I want, getting a event every time a shell is fired, but just registering a listener in control.lua doesn't work, can I make the vanilla artillery give me these events? If yes how?
Does something like this not work?

Code: Select all

local function ArtilleryFired(event)
	-- Whatever code you need for the actions you want to take
end

script.on_event(defines.events.on_trigger_fired_artillery, ArtilleryFired)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Ratte
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ratte »

Sadly no, my listener got no events.
The other thread talked about performance, and that by default this is disabled, but I don't know how to enable it.
Just to make sure again, I made this control.lua:

local function ArtilleryFired(event)
	game.print("on_trigger_fired_artillery")
end
script.on_event(defines.events.on_trigger_fired_artillery, ArtilleryFired)
But it prints nothing when the artillery fires. I've tested this with no other mods active to be sure nothing else breaks it.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Hmm, for the sake of it, try "log" instead of "game.print" and then check your factorio-current.log file. There are some conditions under which game.print gets culled and won't print to screen.

Edit: Oh, never mind...
Called when an entity with a trigger prototype (such as capsules) fire an artillery projectile AND that trigger prototype defined trigger_fired_artillery="true"
May want to double check that the artillery prototype has that defined?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Ratte wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:23 pm
Sadly no, my listener got no events.
See here:

on_trigger_fired_artillery

Called when an entity with a trigger prototype (such as capsules) fire an artillery projectile AND that trigger prototype defined trigger_fired_artillery="true".
I know I should probably add trigger_fired_artillery=true somewhere in my data.raw[ artillery-projectile? artillery-turret? projectile? ], but I don't know where.
I'd try Prototype/ArtilleryProjectile.action. Look for action_delivery.source_effects.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Ratte
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ratte »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:00 pm
May want to double check that the artillery prototype has that defined?
When searching for on_trigger_fired_artillery in the base game data, there are zero hits, so seems like it hasn't defined it by default, which makes sense, as the base game doesn't use it.
Pi-C wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:23 pm
I'd try Prototype/ArtilleryProjectile.action. Look for action_delivery.source_effects.
Thanks for pointing me to the action_delivery, that was the place to add it, but on the artillery-shell and not the artillery-projectile.

The solution is:

data.raw["ammo"]["artillery-shell"].ammo_type.action.action_delivery.trigger_fired_artillery = true
This triggers the event on_trigger_fired_artillery when the artillery shoots (and creates) the artillery-projectile.

Thanks for the help! <3 (Literally saved me days of confusion)

Return to “Modding help”