Reading fluid levels of pipes, liquids shouldn't behave according to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Reading fluid levels of pipes, liquids shouldn't behave according to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Koub wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:11 pm
[Koub] Implemented in 2.0 yay \o/ :
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-416
I don't see where the FFF mentions the capability to connect circuit wires to pipes to read the fill level? I guess you'd have to abuse storage tanks for this still?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reading fluid levels of pipes, liquids shouldn't behave according to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics

Post by Koub »

My reasoning was that with the way pipes and tanks will be merged into segments, the issue described by OP should disappear, Am I wrong ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Koub wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:03 pm
My reasoning was that with the way pipes and tanks will be merged into segments, the issue described by OP should disappear, Am I wrong ?
The issue described by the initial OP probably disappears yeah, but the other merged suggestion is not really. Being able to connect wires to a tank that will now output the contents of the entire segment vs directly connecting to a pipe which would now output the same is not identical imo (+ the later request to also be able to read the fluids temperature).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

BrainGamer_ wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:37 pm
Being able to connect wires to a tank that will now output the contents of the entire segment vs directly connecting to a pipe which would now output the same is not identical imo (+ the later request to also be able to read the fluids temperature).
Indeed, but by reading the level of a tank, I can infer the level of any pipe on the same segment, as all the segment's elements will always be kept at the same level.
With current numbers :
- a tank at 25k means all the pipes in the same segment are at 100
- a tank at 12.5k means all the pipes in the same segment are at 50
- a tank at 10k means all the pipes in the same segment are at 10/25x100=40

I think what we need is to measure how full a segment is.

Concerning the temperature, I agree that won't help, but I'd rather have it in a dedicated thread. BTW there are already quite a few suggestions for similar things, like temperature sensors for heat pipes, heat exchangers,...
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”