Documentation for lualib libraries is missing

Place to report issues and suggest improvements to the API documentation.
jDomantas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Documentation for lualib libraries is missing

Post by jDomantas »

Libraries in core/lualib can be imported by mods, but I can't find any documentation for them. It looks like they are supposed to be usable by scripts ("collision-mask-util" is mentioned in FFF-362, "story" is described in scripting tutorial), but if that's the case then they are very difficult to discover and figure out how to use. I only found out about them while reading the source for Story Missions mod.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Documentation for lualib libraries is missing

Post by Hares »

Similar topic: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=91536

Instant +1 on that.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

+1. I've been misled or made faulty assumptions a few times. Prime candidate would be resource_autoplace.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Documenting the contents of the lualib libraries is in our longterm plan. For now you'll have to make do with the comments in the files/their source code.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:16 pm
+1. I've been misled or made faulty assumptions a few times. Prime candidate would be resource_autoplace.
Could you expand on specific issues/information that you discovered? A first version of the docs would mostly copy the comments found in the Lua files, and I assume those were not enough to address what you encountered.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hares »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:43 pm
Documenting the contents of libraries in our longterm plan. For now you'll have to make do with the comments in the files/their source code.
Deadlock989 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:16 pm
Could you expand on specific issues/information that you discovered? A first version of the docs would mostly copy the comments found in the Lua files, and I assume those were not enough to address what you encountered.
I assume this COULD be a task for the community -- ask modders to write docs for the functions they know, and then compile it to something more readable.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Bilka wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:43 pm
The most recent cock-up I made was trying to use collision_mask_util.get_first_unused_layer(). I didn't see any comments because I was going from examples provided by Wube staff elsewhere (looking at the source file, it turns out there are none). I didn't realise that you have to put the result into a data.raw prototype more or less immediately, since otherwise get_first_unused_layer() will simply return the same layer again.

The util functions ... There are very few comments. I didn't know util.copy exists and didn't realise it was identical to table.deepcopy. I didn't realise util.mix_color multiplies two colours, I assumed it would produce the mean colour. I didn't know util.direction_vectors existed and have made my own version several times. Even a simple centralised list of available named functions without any further decoration would be better than having to scroll through 700 lines of code and figuring each one out.

With resource_autoplace ... I mean, just all of it. What is base_density - it says "amount of stuff, on average, to be placed per tile" which is very vague. How is that different to base_spots_per_km2? I thought I knew what richness was until I actually started to look at the comments which made me realise I clearly didn't, so what is it? Why does crude oil have additional_richness of 220000, what is that magic number? It's very frustrating to trial-and-error resource autoplace specs when you have to restart the game and generate map previews every time you make a tweak. Typically people come to this stuff thinking "I want blobs of infinite resource X that are roughly spaced Y tiles apart and start off at 100% yield if the slider is 100% richness" but getting to that result from existing examples and comments takes tens of hours to get right when it should take 10 minutes.

Return to “Documentation Improvement Requests”