[1.1.104] Daisy-chained research labs can jam with modded tech costs

Hexicube
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[1.1.104] Daisy-chained research labs can jam with modded tech costs

Post by Hexicube »

Currently using the following mod to inflate tech costs progressively:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Hexi_Scaling_Science_Cost

For visibility, I chose to actually modify the pack count and consumption time and not total number required, so that you can see what the multiplier is directly.

This initially was fine, merely causing increased storage per lab as each lab wants to store double the number of whatever the tech specifies. However, at a large enough multiplier (>100) this actually exceeds the capacity of the lab and inserters will sit there waiting for space for what's currently held since it will not check what actually fits. This then compounds as the inserter continues trying to reach the target fill amount (impossible) and the lab then runs out of another pack.

This looks like a combination of three separate issues:
1. Labs are trying to store double what's specified in the tech, rather than enough to cover a duration like assemblers do
2. Labs do not modify their stored capacity like assemblers do, for recipes that require more than a stack of input
3. Inserters do not check if the target inventory actually has space available for the item it wants to insert

The attached save gets stuck attempting to insert yellow science after hitting 502 packs of space science.

Ideally 1+2 is what gets fixed so that labs attempt to store a reasonable amount of science as well as scaling their input buffer as needed to do so, so that they work just like assemblers do.
Attachments
Science Lab Jam Test.zip
(983.86 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.104] Daisy-chained research labs can jam with modded tech costs

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This is now fixed for 2.0.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Fixed for 2.0”