[1.1.107] Game not throwing an error when adding functions in global table

ness056
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.107] Game not throwing an error when adding functions in global table

Post by ness056 »

Hello there,
In this page of the LUA API docs, it is said that "Functions are not allowed in global and will throw an error when saving.", however if you add a function in the global table (for example with this command "/c global.foo = function() end") the function will be added in the global function and will not be conserved through save/load cycle but it will only log a warning. This is really confusing because it is not what the docs says. Although I don't know which one is better between adding an error or modifying the docs.
Also I'm quite curious why it is impossible to add functions to the global table? I would imagine it has a link with the fact that the load function doesn't work with binary chunks but it doesn't help me much to understand.

The following log file is me:
- creating a new save
- running "/c global.foo = function() end"
- running "/c log(type(global.foo))"
- saving and reloading the save
- running "/c log(type(global.foo))"
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(31.22 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

PennyJim
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.107] Game not throwing an error when adding functions in global table

Post by PennyJim »

I hypothesize that it is something to do with the fact that commands can see all global tables.

I don't know which global table you're putting that function in, and I wouldn't be surprised if the choice to not crash on saving the command global or things in global added specifically by commands was intentional.

This is all hypothesis that I can't currently validate though.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.107] Game not throwing an error when adding functions in global table

Post by boskid »

Thanks for the report. I will end the graceful period of silently ignoring functions inside of `global` with the release of 2.0

Return to “Fixed for 2.0”