[1.1.36] Small complication with a modded shortcut and order field

Bugs that are actually features.
Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[1.1.36] Small complication with a modded shortcut and order field

Post by Honktown »

What I did: Added a new shortcut with a mod (the shortcut buttons right of the user quick-bar)
What I expected: The button and location in visibility/presence menu (tiny thing to click on and expose shortcuts) would be added according to the order field string.
What happened: The button and position in menu are last.

Brought it up in the Discord #mod-making room and did some testing. Boskid confirmed the behavior is because the current logic is (basically): keep order from player-data.json, new shortcuts are added at the end, sorting by order.

The "problem" is the shortcut bar record is always present if one has loaded and closed any game, even without saving. It's not game-specific. This means new shortcuts always go at the end, even if it seems reasonable for them to show up elsewhere by order.

A suggested reason for "keep the order of the existing ones, add new to end" was because if someone had changed the order of their shortcuts, they'll likely be bothered if those shortcuts changed order.

A behavior compromise: If the record for shortcuts in player-data.json does not match a sort by order, then the old behavior of adding shortcuts to the end is used. If the shortcuts are in-order (by prototype order), then a new shortcut could be added into the middle of existing shortcuts.

For reference, the mod:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/expandtooltip

example orders:
order = "a[alt-mode]",
order = "a[toggle-minimap-hiding]",
order = "c[toggles]-b[exoskeleton]",

Result when mod is enabled:

I rather wanted the shortcut to be at the top, far away from shortcuts more likely to be used (and more of an "option" than an "action", like alt-mode)

Edit: I am aware of the grab/move handles on the right, but I'd like the default / current behavior to be different.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.36] Small complication with a modded shortcut and order field

Post by Klonan »

I don't see anything described here as a bug, it is just a description of how the logic currently works, which is fine

Return to “Not a bug”